Clear coat bubbling

Ngreen

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I sprayed a few of my parts in gold paint then put a clear coat on top. The original gold had like 2 weeks to dry because I was out of town. Does anyone have an idea of why the clear would cause it to bubble like this?:confused:

Are all the paints compatable? What layer bubbled? Were all the coats from metal prep on up full wet coats, no dry "dusty" coats? Many, most? all? paints have recomended recoat time range with minimum and maximum time between coats. Exceed the max time and some scuffing with fine paper might be needed to give the top coat something to "bite?" Bummer, I feel for you. It's tough to think you are nearly done then have the finish fail.

photo-4.jpg

it seems like everything bubbled up together. Idk if the fact that i am painting aluminum would matter or not. i scratched off the bubble on one section and it revealed metal. so the primer the gold and the clear coat bubbled. like i said the gold had a long time to dry but i made sure it wasnt dusty or anything when i cleared it. i am in a shop built into an old barn so it isnt the nicest of conditions but it appeared that the paints bonded of to each other just not to the metal. luckily i tried the clear on a small part first :) any advice or knowledge would be great. thank you for any help you can give.

View attachment 13411

it seems like everything bubbled up together. Idk if the fact that i am painting aluminum would matter or not. i scratched off the bubble on one section and it revealed metal. so the primer the gold and the clear coat bubbled. like i said the gold had a long time to dry but i made sure it wasnt dusty or anything when i cleared it. i am in a shop built into an old barn so it isnt the nicest of conditions but it appeared that the paints bonded of to each other just not to the metal. luckily i tried the clear on a small part first :) any advice or knowledge would be great. thank you for any help you can give.

It appears that your top coat was not compatible with the color coat. Back in the day that would happen if laquer went on over enamel primer. Easy mistake to make in a busy shop.:banghead:

hi guys i,ve sprayed acrel... paint ... i,ve always got good results as i use ppg ,,, i gave up using cheap crap... so when i finish my top coat and its looking great and still weti hit it with clear ... then put it somewhere wwhere there,s no dust , and reasonably dry to warm ... regards oldbiker

That's definitely a compatibility problem. Best thing to do is to first make sure both the color and clear are from the same manufacturer, it will usually say on the can if it's compatible. If it's not on the can, generally the mfgs web site will have that information. For inexpensive paint shot with a gun (i.e. not spray cans, you have to use hardeners, a spray gun, compressor, etc), the Wanda brand works well.

Something you might look into: paint stores now have this deal where you can have paint mixed to your color specs then 'catalyzed' (hardener mixed in) then put into spray cans which have to be used within IIRC 6 hours. So you prep all your parts, go buy the spray bomb of the color base you want, shoot the parts, then the next day get a spray bomb of catalyzed clear and do that step.

You might even consider powder coating. The cheap Harbor Freight guns work fine for small parts and you can bake the parts in a toaster oven, an old kitchen oven or even with UV lights. http://www.harborfreight.com/10-30-psi-powder-coating-system-94244.html

When using base coat clear coat. Normal procedure is three coats of base allowing time between coats for the paint to flash. Never ever clear over wet base coat ever. Also allowing the base sit for more then a day you need to scuff it back down and rebase it then clear it. You could have had lifting for many reasons. Incompatible products is a good place to start.

Last edited:
First thing, 2 weeks is too long for base to wait before it is cleared. Adhesion problems would be of concern. Paints have different windows for apply clear, but most want it done from about 30 minutes to about 24 hours. Now . I'm guessing you did not use a base as your first material? Therefore you sprayed a catalyzed clear coat over a no catalyzed enamel of some sort?? You need to tell me more specifics about the materials used.

That's called wrinkeling. First 2 weeks is to long to wait max time between coats is 24 hours second the part may have been dirty. If u want ill spray it for u.

That wrinkling is not from a dirty substrate. It is from the chemicals of the catalyzed top coat attacking the non- cured material below. In simple terms, it "ate": into the lower material, swelling it up.

Back