Clip, Kick

BowlingSS

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone know if 256-15687-00 and 90468-26045-00 are the same? I ordered the 90468 off of eBay and they were not correct. I am seeing different parts on eBay. My parts list shows 256 as the part but partaz shows the 90 number. I just want one that works. The two I got from eBay were way to small (right pic).
Anyone have a couple of good ones?

Thanks.
Bill

Attachments

• IMG_0431.jpg
    IMG_0431.jpg
    535.2 KB · Views: 65
+1. The later part will fit earlier cases, and the parts from Mike's used to be good and probably still are. Use the later placement for the wishbone spring. Lube the spring and gear and work the spring back and forth on the gear till it doesn't feel sticky, then hook a fisherman's spring scale on the loop of the spring and pull at a right angle to test tension. Book says max 6lbs IIRC, 8 is better IMO. Leave the spring on the gear and squeeze the loop in a vise to increase tension.

Oops, sorry 'bout that. I could be looking at the factory parts book wrong, but the way I read it, it looks as though kick clip 90468-26045-00 replaced 256-15687-00 for XS1 and XS1B as soon as 90468, etc. came out in the XS2.

I have tried every conceivable way to squeeze the horseshoe clip and the most I can get is 3.5 Lbs. Both from Mikes. I ended up breaking one of the clips. I am putting off doing the job on my 77D. If you have any gems I would appreciate it. I hope you dont say you just gave it a squeeze in the vise and it took 8 lbs to move it because I have sqeezed that M.F. numerous ways including all the tips from the forum - I suspect some of the clips are better than others "out of the box".

ggggary - I dont remeber a drill bit, but the last tip I remember (which may be similar to the drill bit) was by member Toghlot (spelling) who put a piece of 3mm flat bar in the u tip with the intention that the wings would get pushed together closer to the start of the wings instead of just crushing the u tip. I think that was a good tip because when I was squeezing the u tip in the vice you can see how it can have the effect of actually opening the wings. The further you can get away from the u bend (on the u tip) the more chance you have of closing up the wings. Maybe I dont have the nack.
Some ideas I've had are - put some dobs of weld on the wings, clean them up, to act as friction points/rub points - to make the wings thicker so they rub on the sides as well as the bottom of the groove. Squeeze the u tip in the vice and add a spot of weld to hold it in that squeezed posi. Make a full circle and join the ends with a spot of weld or a metal band or a piece of crushed small diameter tubing. Just ideas, just thinking.
Thanks for noticing.

a metal band or a piece of crushed small diameter tubing.

Great minds!
Thinking out of the box, (spit balling) and no I haven't tried this...............
AFTER the spring is in the groove, tighten a double wrap of wire around the legs?
or crimp some sort of staple over the legs pulling them together?
spring in place.JPG

Looking at possibilities doing something like this.

Does anyone know if 256-15687-00 and 90468-26045-00 are the same? I ordered the 90468 off of eBay and they were not correct. I am seeing different parts on eBay. My parts list shows 256 as the part but partaz shows the 90 number. I just want one that works. The two I got from eBay were way to small (right pic).
Anyone have a couple of good ones?

Thanks.
Bill
I found out that the part number in my parts list was wrong. The part number should be 90468-26044. After getting two orders wrong I was told the parts list is wrong. Who would have guessed it.

I found out that the part number in my parts list was wrong. The part number should be 90468-26044. After getting two orders wrong I was told the parts list is wrong. Who would have guessed it.
I would have guessed it. I have repeatedly said on this forum that the parts lists from the on-line vendors all suck, especially regarding early models. If you want a half-way reliable parts list, use this:
http://biker.net/
biker dot net gets the clip kick part number right, just one example of MANY, and is an absolute must if you are working on 70-73. JMHO.

Back