*Clunk* when breaking

lassenc

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Okay okay, not a *clunk* sound, but I can definitely feel something move when I brake somewhat hard.

I changed the headstock bearings to tapered ones, and have been tightening them three times, last time was too much. Steering got harder, clunk continued.

I'm thinking the bushings in the forks are worn, but can anyone chime in to what I should look for? Service limits?

Could be the yoke bolt. I had the same thing happen. Despite all the tightening, if the center yoke bolt is loose or not adjusted properly the upper triple moves. Loosen the fork tube upper pinch bolts and the center pinch bolt before tightening the yoke bolt so the triple can move with the slight movement of the yoke bolt.

Last edited:
Still happening, been after it thrice now. Could be super worn bushings, will try adding more oil.

Still happening, been after it thrice now. Could be super worn bushings, will try adding more oil.

Hey Lassenc.

Same problem to me. Have tried to tighten the center yoke, still that "clunk" sound when hitting the front brake hard.

I was also thinking about bad bushings in the lower legs but would you not feel that while rocking the forks back and forth??

/BigBoreSwede

I'd think so as well, added more oil this evening, didn't do a testrun. Maybe thicker oil.

Did you'all try the above procedure? It's important that the upper three pinch bolts are loose so the upper triple can move when you tighten the yoke bolt.

Back