clunk when turning off?

xjwmx

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
About a third of the time when I turn the bike off in 1st gear with the clutch pulled I hear a clunk. It sounds sort of like when the kickstand flips up and hits the muffler but it varies in loudness. It doesn't happen in neutral. No bad sounds when running. Not happening in neutral and happening with the clutch pulled makes me think it involves the clutch. The part about only happening sometimes and varying in loudness, makes me think it is driven by release of compression, or maybe valve spring compression. Any ideas? I noticed it after a rebuild, and as far as I know the clutch is right. Put together from diagram showing the missing washer. Using Mike's throwout bearing with its extra bearings.

In that particular scenario, I've figured that the viscous drag of the clutchpack puts at least 1 ft-lb of torque into the mainshaft, and (thru 1st gear) 2-3 ft-lbs into the driveshaft, and 4-5 ft-lbs into the rear wheel. If you're experiencing difficulty popping outta 1st into neutral in that scenario, that torque may be higher.

So, at shutdown, that torque disappears, and something must be springing back to a relaxed state. A few items in the chain to consider:

Clutch basket springs.
The driveshaft's 4th slider dogs in the 1st gear's slots.
Drive sprocket fit onto the driveshaft's splines.
Drivechain slack, maybe smacking the swingarm.
Driven sprocket fit onto the rear wheel hub.

Back