Clutch adjustment

Downer

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Got a new lever so I need to adjust clutch kinda lost I don't really know what to feel for from what I read your saposed to losen the nut under the adjustment cover than with a Phillips screw driver tighten bolt till I feel a bit of resistance than back it off a 1/4 inch and than tighten nut again? Is this correct? The pull dosent feel like it did but that may be cause the new lever can anyone help me out? Thanx

Take the little round cover off, loosen the lock nut, 10mm, and use the phillips to turn the screw back and forth, back and forth. Like a little dance to get the feel. Just as you feel resistance on the screw, back it off a 1/4 turn. Now, hold the screw in position and tighten the lock nut. The phillips has a + pattern, so use that as a little guide to were it is when it stops and a 1/4 turn back.
The lever can be different if it is not stock due it's pivot point. A quarter, 25cent piece, should fit in the lever to perch gap. I usually get it tight, then start the bike and adjust it running, in gear. Be careful if you do this. Putting the front wheel against a wall is good practice before putting it in gear.

It will turn free, but as you turn it in the screw will get tight. So, back and forth and you will feel it pushing the rod. As soon as you feel it pushing in on the rod, resistance, stop and turn it back a 1/4 turn. Try it a few times. Turn it in so it gets tight, then slowly back off, then in again. You'll get it. You want it to just start touching the rod, then back 1/4.
Make sure the lock nut is free and clear of the screw motion. It can cause a false reading if it's not loose enough when turning the screw. Just don't take it all the way off.

Make sure you loosen the adjuster up at the hand lever all the way before doing the lower adjustment with that screw. Once you set the screw, then finish by adjusting at the hand lever.

So when you say losen at the lever you really mean screw the adjuster in to make the lever loose right? Like so it has some slack? My pull just dosent feel right to me like it's not moving in full is there a specific depth the adjuster screw is saposed to move in when you pull the clutch?

If you actually watch it move, it moves very little. It kinda comes out and turns at the same time, but only about a 1/4 turn. Like I said, I put the front wheel against a wall, bike running, pull in the clutch and put it in gear. Then I let out the clutch to adjust the lever to were I like it. Usually the distance is about the thickness of a quarter on the perch. You don't want the bike to move itself forward, in gear, with the clutch pulled in, but you also don't want it to start grabbing with the lever way out either.

Ya I losen the adjustment at the perch first before I adjust the adjustment screw on the case it just feels different to me I guess I think it's the new lever. The lever is a different shape with like finger grips on it compared to my old one witch was pretty straight but I'll keep working on it thanx guys

Back