clutch/brake levers for small hands

Frank81

XS650 Member
Reaction score
picked up an XS650 for the old lady, but her hands are so small she can't pull the clutch and brake levers easily. anyone know where to get levers for small hands? thanks

Scrambled wasn't very helpful........a bigger old lady would cost more to board and feed in the long run vs. buying new levers. Check out the Yamaha YZ clutch lever on eBay for $17.99 (from China) and/or the YZ style brake lever and reservoir on same. Both are also available from 650central. You could also upgrade the clutch to a hydraulic one. Just search 'pit bike hydraulic clutch'..... it's about $39.99.

picked up an XS650 for the old lady, but her hands are so small she can't pull the clutch and brake levers easily. anyone know where to get levers for small hands? thanks

Problem I ran into when trying to go with smaller levers was that the switch gear has so much reach around that most small levers hit the switch housings before full pull. I was trying to match the clutch lever with the Brembo M/C lever. So far no luck.

roy

Problem I ran into when trying to go with smaller levers was that the switch gear has so much reach around that most small levers hit the switch housings before full pull. I was trying to match the clutch lever with the Brembo M/C lever. So far no luck.

roy

Great point Roy........ I forgot that I am not using stock setup. Hugh's Handbuilt has info on his blog about the Hydraulic Cluth and the small mod required to use with stock switches.

http://hughshandbuilt.blogspot.ca/p/xs650-hydraulic-clutch-conversion.html

Levers that are closer to the grip will not operate the clutch well, it needs as much lever as it can get.
On the brake there is an adjustment screw to set how far the lever is from the grip. On this one a shorter lever is ok because it doesn't come to the grip like the clutch.
Honda built bikes for people who can't use a clutch. They made a 400 version and a 750 version. They called them a Hondamatic.
Leo

The point I was trying to make is that the clutch lever needs as much travel as it can get to fully open the pressure plate. Anything that reduces this travel leads to poor clutch performance.
I have rather short fingers myself. I've learned to use the clutch as it is.
An XS650 is not for everyone. I mentioned the Hondamatics as one option.
A foot clutch with hand shift is another option.
Last year I saw a one of the 400 versions of the Hondamatic and almost bought it. I thought it would be a good way to get a new rider tought the basics, then move to a simular bike like the Honda CM400E I have to learn the clutch and shifting.
Leo

I don't know of a specific solution but surely all you need to do is look for a brake and clutch lever that pulls from a greater distance from the pivot point .

That way you can move the lever closer to the grips and yet pull the same cable distance for the clutch .
It should be easier to pull the lever too but too a short a pull will have less feel to it and be a bit sudden.

Must be a lever out there that will fit . otherwise you could look into using an adjustable lever
http://www.womenridersnow.com/pages/Adjustable_Brake_and_Clutch_Levers_for_Small_Hands.aspx

Last edited:
Back