Clutch cable/drive chain replacement recommendations

MF HectoOR

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So this weekend my clutch cable broke at the hand control (not sure what it is called). I'm sure the whole cable needs to be replaced. I am looking for recommendations as I hear the cable provided hy mikesxs is on the thin side.

Also my drive chain appears to be far too loose than it should as it moves left and right horizontally. The chain rubs the fender, bat box and wheel. Any chain suggestions for 17/34 and 17/32? Considering moving to 17/32 for a bit more speed with lower RPM's.

If there is any video or guides to go about replacing these items, please share. Thanks

So this weekend my clutch cable broke at the hand control (not sure what it is called). I'm sure the whole cable needs to be replaced. I am looking for recommendations as I hear the cable provided hy mikesxs is on the thin side.

Also my drive chain appears to be far too loose than it should as it moves left and right horizontally. The chain rubs the fender, bat box and wheel. Any chain suggestions for 17/34 and 17/32? Considering moving to 17/32 for a bit more speed with lower RPM's.

If there is any video or guides to go about replacing these items, please share. Thanks

www.650central.com in California.................. E-Z Pull Clutch Cable.................its an extra strong cable and works really well.

Motion Pro for cables, and Parts Unlimited X-ring for a sealed chain, but regardless of chain choice, replace both sprockets at the same time. Everything lasts longer that way if you do your part and keep it lubed, cleaned, and adjusted.
$0.02

replace both sprockets at the same time.

If my front sprocket looks like captain hook but my rear sprocket looks mint, I'm only going to replace one.

Somebody had the bead pull off of a motionpro cable so I've been wary since, although that's what I have.

If I wanted super dependability on a clutch cable I would have one made, which a moped garage offered to make for me once, using those beads you see that have a set screw. It's not going to pull out, and if it did, just screw on a new bead. I don't trust 100% those molded on zinc beads or whatever they are.

Chains and sprockets will wear evenly when well matched and well maintained, and you'll never be caught with "good" sprockets and a "bad" chain again. The chain I recommended will run the entire life of any steel sprocket as long as it's properly lubed and tensioned.
Motion Pro has a good warranty for their cables if you buy them from one of their distributors. I've used a couple dozen of them without fail. My buddy gets their "custom" kits to make shift cables for Vespas all the time. A lot of folks are using the screw on in custom applications. My only beef with them is how they stress the cable strands. It gets a direct shear load rather than an omnidirectional compression load. I have a friend that won't put anything but a Moose Racing cable on anything, and he has to adapt them all the time, but he's a big believer. They did create the original Easy Pull system, IIRC. $0.02
Lots of different experiences here with different products and different environments.

Chains and sprockets will wear evenly when well matched and well maintained, and you'll never be caught with "good" sprockets and a "bad" chain again. The chain I recommended will run the entire life of any steel sprocket as long as it's properly lubed and tensioned.
Motion Pro has a good warranty for their cables if you buy them from one of their distributors. I've used a couple dozen of them without fail. My buddy gets their "custom" kits to make shift cables for Vespas all the time. A lot of folks are using the screw on in custom applications. My only beef with them is how they stress the cable strands. It gets a direct shear load rather than an omnidirectional compression load. I have a friend that won't put anything but a Moose Racing cable on anything, and he has to adapt them all the time, but he's a big believer. They did create the original Easy Pull system, IIRC. $0.02
Lots of different experiences here with different products and different environments.

Thanks i just placed an order for the clutch cable from motion pro. Appreciate it.

Currently looking for chain...
http://www.mrcycles.com/catalog_product_detail.asp?cat_8025-19108_product_1313381.PARTS_UNLIMITED_PRO_SERIES_X-R.htm#.UblEc-d4yVo

What's the chain differences? Any recommendations on sprockets? Sorry for being a noob. Just trying to get a good set up.

I recenly changed from 17/34 to 17/32. Feels much better. Lower revs on higher speed, but still enough power to drive more active or have a passenger. Of course, also depends on weight, luggage etc...

XJW,

So, you don't think these place a direct shear load on the cable then? Didn't say they don't work, just said I don't like how they work. It's direct shear loading, just like a cable cutter.

Attachments

• cable.jpg
    cable.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Back