Clutch cable issue

kicnit

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So I tore into the clutch yesterday, and replaced all the springs, plates, and cable with a buddy. I replaced the clutch push screw assembly as well, while I was in there. Now it seems like the clutch cable has no free play. It almost looks like the housing of the new cable is too long? Doest seem to let the clutch disengage all the way. The wheel will still spin (I know this is normal) and when I click into 2nd it just stalls out. I've already adjusted the sidecover clutch adjust, from the 650central specs.

The cable is from MikesXS, and my bike did have the big goofy pullback bars on it when I bought it. I thought I had got the right cable. Any input will be great.

cheers,
kyle.

I dunno. I'm have the exact opposte with the MMM cable. the cable is about an 1inch too long and needs to be shorted.. I did the run the mikes cable for a couple of months.. didn't have a problem.

how exactly did you adjust the clutch? did you adjust the cable at the perch? the perch needs to be turned all the way in before the adjuster on the cover is touched... also what year is your bike? you have both balls, etc, installed/

Its a 1980. Yeah both balls are there, and the perch is screwed in all the way. Like I said it almost seems like the housing around the cable is to long, and doesnt let the push screw fully disengage. I literally couldnt adjust the clutch from the lever at all at this point.

if you could measure the distance of the free end cable you have... (from the end of the outer black to the barrel where it goes into the lever... should be about 6 inches. i'll go and measure my stock one and we can compare... that will tell you if your cable is incorrect.

Back