clutch cover

tshadow6

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I cracked the original clutch cover, so I am being extra careful with this one. It doesn't go on flush, it leaves 1/4-3/8" of an inch. I have a soft mallet, but I want to make sure that is normal. Should I need a soft mallet or is it supposed to go right on? Here is a picture.

Attachments

• 100_0883.jpg
    100_0883.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 231
Has it seated properly on the dowel on the hole, at the front end (lower)?

It should go on flush, or something is stopping it. Check the dowels, then for any external obstructions.

Warning, do not go pulling this cover about or you are in danger of the kickstart mechanism coming out - and believe me, you don't want that to happen.

Look on the inside of the cover - if you see any scratches opposite the clutch assembly, look to retorque the clutch bolts to spec (6-7lbs I think).

If that is all done, have a look to make sure the shifter-shaft has not been disturbed and has come off its spring - if so, replace.

tshadow6, leave that mallet where it is - gently and patiently does it.

Anlaf

Thank you to you both for your replies and good advice. This project is really starting to frustrate me. I just have to take it slow and ask questions.

Check your kick start this thread, 5twins' post 8 describes the "trick"

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25602

Rant warning!!! It is good you showed the pic....

#1 Take the cover off and clean off all that goldish colored crap.
Now find out why it isn't going all the way back on. Where are you feeling it not want to go on further? There is a trick to getting all the kick start parts lined up properly. There are two locating dowels that can resist the cover going on a little.
Once you can get the cover on all the way; remove it and put a THIN layer of your sealer on inside of the sealing surface of the cover, Thin! ie put a bit of sealer on your finger smear that on the cover, repeat around the cover, just enough so can can tell you did it but still see some aluminum peaking through. No sealer on the engine side of the gasket or the engine sealing surface. Those excess globs of sealer break off, wander around the engine and get stuck in the most inconvenient places, like oil passages! This can be the death of your engine. At the very least gobs of sealant hanging out scream dufus hack fixer upper to the onlookers.
OK rant off, sorry but this is important stuff.

You need to clean all remnants of the old gasket off too. Geez, kids, lol.

I had the same problem when putting mine on and noticed that the kick start lever was not fully where it needed to be. 5Twins sent me a post from the site that showed the correct spot it needed to be and it went right on. Sometimes just when you take off the clutch cover it can pull the mechanism out of place---not that bad to get back together though, just need to use a zip tie to get the spring in place. By looking at the picture, I would almost bet this is what happened.

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25602

Okay, I found one problem. The cover is getting close, but right now no cigar. On my next day off I will remove all the tacky sealant and make sure I have two locating dowels.

I used a roloc on a pneumatic drill to remove my old gasket. go easy though. lots faster than a razor blade.
U might have one of the original dowels stuck in th emotor side, and your new cover might have a dowel in the same place. they do seem stuck, but they just pull out.
Kick mech more likely, though

tshadow6, what was the problem you found and put right?

Careful as you go with the kickstart assembly. I put my bike on its side stand to get gravity on my side.

Anlaf

The replacement cover came with a locating dowel. That was hitting the dowel that was there first. I will put the bike on the kick stand, that is a good idea.

I used a roloc on a pneumatic drill to remove my old gasket. go easy though. lots faster than a razor blade.
U might have one of the original dowels stuck in th emotor side, and your new cover might have a dowel in the same place. they do seem stuck, but they just pull out.
Kick mech more likely, though
TA-DAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!! Score one for angus!!

this kickstart assembly video may help :wink2:

I finally was able to put my clutch cover back on. I laid the bike down and everything fit fine. I took my time tightening the bolts in a cross pattern. Next; fill with oil and try to start her.

Back