clutch cush drive springs

kiwi

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those who have replaced their cush drive springs with aftermarket kit from Mikes, how did it work out? I have to do mine, one broke and one too loose. This summer, in certain situations, my bike felt like it had an elastic drive train on take off, very weird feeling when in traffic. Everything checked ok, no broken or loose bolts or pivots. Now that the winter is here, decided to check the drive springs, and found the problem. Several guys have done the job, seems fairly straight forward, but no info on if it was successful.

I have done a couple using Heidens spring kits. They work.
Getting the springs in is a bit fiddly, I did not like the bolts supplied to replace the rivets in the basket they are from memory M8 x 1.25 cap screws with half nuts. I did not like the thought of only a few threads holding the clutch together so replaced them with some fine pitch high tensile aircraft bolts sorry cant remember the size
but I do remember having to machine them a bit.

Thanks for the info Signal. The bolts look to be the weak point in the kit, so will try and find something else with a fine thread.

Back