clutch is engaged, bike still moves in 1st gear

bret

'81 Special
Reaction score
I put a new clutch cable in and now when I put the bike in 1st gear, it moves slowly even when I'm squeezing the clutch. Is there some sort of adjustment I need to make?

definitely. You're not disengaging in first w/ this new clutch cable. Do the adjustment with the left side clutch screw (under the shiny 2" round cap). I've found that although there's a general rule of thumb about backing it out after bottoming it out, it'll take you a few rides up and down the block to get this one just right. Seems whenever you replace any parts on the clutch you have to tweak it just a bit.

Before adjusting the pressure on the worm gear loosen the perch adjustment turning it in as far as it will go. After the worm gear adjustment, take up all but a little gap between the lever and the perch. I use 1/8 back off the push rod and a penny thickness gap at the lever. But each is different and you will find the adjustment you like best.

Before you installed the new cable you did lube it correct?

I did not lube it at all to be honest. My bike is my only transportation and I needed to get to and from work as fast as I could.

Back