Clutch is really hard to shift

motorbreath

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Sorry its me again, um i was wondering why my clutch is extremely hard to shift and once it warms up it doesn't want to shift gears at all?

well as i was looking through the clutch tech part, it say that theres suppose to b a bearing inside the worm gear hole and well mine is missing could that be the culprit

A regular 5/16" ball bearing works fine no need to search out the Yamaha part #.
If you have a 2 piece push rod there should be a bearing between the two pieces too. Note the pull arm location angle inside the cover, then take apart the clutch ramp assembly. Clean everything, look for broken or cracked pieces, grease and reassemble. Clean and lube the cable and clutch perch pivot. The 650 clutch needs only a reasonable pull when it's properly maintained. There are illustrated threads on doing all of that on here.

Last edited:
When these bikes warm up, the free play gap at the clutch lever can become larger, and that prevents good plate separation in the clutch. I readjust the free play once the engine warms up.

As Gary says, these clutches are not hard to operate. On mine, I even drilled another hole on the worm gear operating arm which is closer to the centre of the worm. That gives me more plate separation, but makes the clutch lever slightly more difficult to pull.

Back