clutch issue------help!!!!

shaydaddy

Shaydaddy Customs
Reaction score
Ok guys, so I've been tearing my hair out over this one for about a week, and my eyes are burning trying to sort through all the forum posts to get an answer.

I just finished a rebuild on my motor, got the motor back in frame, now when I put the bike into first it tries to lurch forward and dies. I have adjusted clutch over and over again to no avail. didn't have this issue before rebuild so i'm stumped. clutch basket is properly aligned. all clutch plates and springs are within tolerance and torqued to spec. one piece clutch rod with both ball bearings in place. new thrust bearing and washer. new clutch worm screw assembly. new clutch perch and adjuster.

any ideas please I've already registered it for cyclefest dayton in december and need to fix this problem so I can shake the bike down.

one thing that i found out in about 2 seconds is when you adjust your clutch at the lever you screw it all the way in. then go down to your case. i adjust there pretty tight. i barley get a 1/8th of a turn out from when it starts rubbing, then i lock it down. i know you said that you read and reread, but sometimes the easy answer is all you need. besides that i dont know. i didnt have to do much to my clutch yet besides change out the plates.

Did you get a new cable?
New, different style/size handle bars?

This is how I do mine: I do the majority of my clutch adjustment with the worm gear.
I set the freeplay at the hand lever to about 3/8" or 1/2" by using the worm gear screw, then final adjust at the lever. I loosen the lever at the perch like normal, then watch it as I turn the worm until it reaches the 3/8 - 1/2 ". I pay no mind to that factory recommendation of 1/4 turn back on the worm gear screw after rod contact.

hows it feel when you kick it. my new plates stuck together once when i first got it running. hit the side case with a bunch of soft hits with a rubber mallot and that freed them. and that night i tied my clutch lever down.

nothing on the sidecase is in contact with the clutch, may have felt good pounding on it but doubt it did much but relieve your frustration :laugh: tying the lever down would let part of the plates to soak if they separate...

thanks for all the replies. cros36 you were right on the money w/ first reply. not sure why but i was screwing lever adjuster all the way out instead of in before adjusting worm gear. pretty dumb. just got excited and didn't really think about wht i was doing. Thanks again.

nothing on the sidecase is in contact with the clutch, may have felt good pounding on it but doubt it did much but relieve your frustration :laugh: tying the lever down would let part of the plates to soak if they separate...

it felt great. ive moved up to a sledge hammer anywhere this week.

Back