clutch lever stiff

borjawil

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so clutch lever is quite stiff, not stock lever. I think my clutch is partly engaged even when handle is not being pulled back. how do i adjust? Just adjust from the lever end or is there something I can adjust in the left side cover?

There is a worm gear adjuster screw in the left cover. Setting that correctly is probably the most important part of a proper clutch adjustment. You may also need to grease the worm gear, oil the clutch cable, or maybe reroute it so it has no kinks or tight bends. Oiling the cable up real good will probably benefit the lever pull the most.

ok so my manual doesnt describe the process to well. I removed the cap on the side cover and see the lock nut and im guessing what they referred to as the adjuster screw in the middle of the nut. How do i adjust it?

get the locknut loose, you will hear a bang inthere when it lets go, dont wory. also, you are turning the locknut counter-clockwise, wich also is the same direction the worm gear turns, keep turning until the lock nut lets go.
screw in the adjusters at the lever all the way in. with the locknut free, turn the adjuster in the middle down there counterclockwise unti it is loose real loose. turn it back in untill you feel resistance, back off 1/8 turn. lock down. go uptop, adjust the adj's so that there is 1/4" gap between the clutch perch, and the lever. tighen down.
Now, this isnt going to be perfect, but it will keep it from slipping due to tight adj, (clutch springs...another story for another time), and will let it disengage fully when you pull the lever.
As the motor warms, up your clutch will change, so you will have ti find the right balance sofar for you particular bike.
if you dont have the stock lever, get one. the one you have might be too short, not giving you enuf leverage.
good luck.

Back