Clutch long rod swap question

Hitndahedfred

Do I look like a people person to you?
Reaction score
After reading a few threads I have seem to be finding conflicting information on this swap.

The engine is a 1982. So from what I see there is a large ball in the worm gear,,a short rod,,then a ball then the "T" shaped piece in the clutch.

What I have read is that the big ball in the worm gear stays,,the first small rod comes out and the ball between the rods comes out too?
Then another thread has the small ball between the rods staying.

Any advice or experience anyone can share with me please?

Hi Fred:

I have an NOS long rod for my '76 C-model but haven't done this job yet. Having said that, I doubt that the ball between the rods could stay given that the long rod replaces the two short ones AND the ball between them.

The question I have is - after you pull out the first short rod (the one that engages the clutch actuator), how to you fish out the ball and the second short rod that engages the clutch push-hat?

Withdrawing the first rod looks to be quite simple - but that hole looks awfully small and I don't see how you grab that middle ball and second short push-rod waaaayy inside the transmission case. There must be a simple way to do it - but I haven't figured it out yet.

Any guidance?

Pete

Hi Fred:

I have an NOS long rod for my '76 C-model but haven't done this job yet. Having said that, I doubt that the ball between the rods could stay given that the long rod replaces the two short ones AND the ball between them.

The question I have is - after you pull out the first short rod (the one that engages the clutch actuator), how to you fish out the ball and the second short rod that engages the clutch push-hat?

Withdrawing the first rod looks to be quite simple - but that hole looks awfully small and I don't see how you grab that middle ball and second short push-rod waaaayy inside the transmission case. There must be a simple way to do it - but I haven't figured it out yet.

Any guidance?

Pete
Hey Pete,,
I haven't got that far yet,,I had the worm gear side off to install the Power Dynamo ignition and lighting setup. And thought I would replace the several pieces of that factory setup with a one piece deal. I guess I will do some more reading until someone here chimes in on what exactly needs to go or stay. I'm pretty confused as to what is there and what needs to come out. I already have the clutch side on,,sealed and have oil in the engine so I really hope I don't have to remove the clutch side again.

If I recall I used one of those skinny telescopic magnets. Princess Auto variety I believe.

OK - I can see that - so the ball and rod come out quite easily? I had though it might be a snug fit.

I guess you pulled that seal first (mine is likely leaking anyway).

Yes, it can be difficult to get the inner ball out through the seal. I couldn't do it and ended up having to pull the clutch apart so I could push the extra ball and rod out. There are 2 rods with a ball between them that get replaced by the long rod. The ball remains in the worm and a 3rd ball remains deep inside against the valve shaped pusher piece .....

Pushrod.jpg

I did the long rod conversion a few months ago. First I removed the seal, then I used an extendable magnet ( like Queenslegs ) , it's about the diameter of a pencil and has a little pocket clip on it. It extends out about 14" and is just about the handiest tool in my shop. I can't tell you how many errant screws I have retrieved with that thing. Anyhow the magnet is quite strong and easily extracts the ball bearing and the other rod.
By the way, don't get Pete started on the whole long rod and balls thing! He starts cracking himself up! :laugh2:

Hey Pete,,
I haven't got that far yet,,I had the worm gear side off to install the Power Dynamo ignition and lighting setup. And thought I would replace the several pieces of that factory setup with a one piece deal. I guess I will do some more reading until someone here chimes in on what exactly needs to go or stay. I'm pretty confused as to what is there and what needs to come out. I already have the clutch side on,,sealed and have oil in the engine so I really hope I don't have to remove the clutch side again.
Fred,

not to hijack but can you do a quick run down on your impressions of the powerdynamo once you get far enough along to have an opinoin.
am seriously considering and would appreciate some hands on input

thanks

Fred,

not to hijack but can you do a quick run down on your impressions of the powerdynamo once you get far enough along to have an opinoin.
am seriously considering and would appreciate some hands on input

thanks
Hey no problem.
Before I bought this set I was seriously considering the PAMCO thing. But after doing a lot of reading I felt this would be better for my application.
Here is the part number/link for the one I bought.
http://www.powerdynamo.biz/eng/systems/7169/7169main.htm
http://www.powerdynamo.biz/eng/systems/7376/7376main.htm
I will not be running a battery,,kick only.
The system supposedly produces 180v for ignition and a steady 12v for lighting and accessories.
I will only be running basic electrics,,just enough to make it safe/legal.

Back