Clutch Problems

Dot Heton

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a heap of clutch that's sitting here in a pile. It's been apart for a year and doesn't seem to want to go together.
The friction plates don't want to go into the basket, did they swell up or something?
The rubber rings must have shrunk, they seem useless.
I can't find the alighnment dots (256 clutch) Does it even have them?

Please let there be some secret that i'm missing, I don't want to buy new friction disks as todays products seem to be hit or miss and the clutch was great before the rebuild.

The pressure plate on 256 clutch doesn't have splines that have to engage hub splines, hence no alignment dot. Look to see if basket finger(s) may have gotten bent inward (like if it was dropped or crammed into storage box). Mic or caliper friction discs. Original friction discs were 0.140" thick, new versions are 0.120" thick. Dont use clutch spacer o-rings if using thinner friction discs. Those spacer o-rings help the plates to separate when clutch is disengaged, you could consider them optional as most folks get along just fine without them.

Yes, there are secrets, but to acquire them you must take a special oath and spit on odd-numbered thursdays.

I started this thread a year and half ago. Today was the day that I finally put it together. I used seven kevlar disks from MikesXS and bought one extra plate from him to get my six disk clutch to seven. The clutch stack comes out to the end of the inner hub exactly. I can't find a reference to this anywhere but looking at the video in the clutch tech area, it looks like that guys stack doesn't fill up the area all the way to the outer edge. Ill try to get a picture up.

if you bought a clutch pack of six friction plates then bought an extra plate they won't be the correct combined thickness for your clutch basket . It will be one plate thickness too much which probably would leave your clutchpack level with the tips of your basket fingers.

As far as I know a 7x plate clutch pack for your year has thinner friction plates so that the total clutch pack measures the same overall thickness as a 6x pack.
I should have thought that you needed to buy a 7x friction plate kit

I'm perdy sure if the plates stack to the end of the housing and the pressure plate is outside the housing it will hit the inside of the cover when trying to use the clutch.
I have had that happen to me when the PO of an engine I have put to many plates in the basket. it is a 1979 engine Here is a video when I was trying to figure it out.
If you look you can see the plates fill the housing completely not good

Attachments

• clutch pic.jpg
    clutch pic.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 219
Hey Dot some pics would really help out here. Are you sure that the clutch inner hub is an early version or could it have been swapped out to the late 6 plate clutch that has the spring loaded bottom steel disc? Also do you have calipers to take some measurements of the friction and steel discs? If I recall correctly the frictions should be ~3.0mm and the steels should be 1.4mm for running a 7/6 combo in an older non-sprung hub.

if you bought a clutch pack of six friction plates then bought an extra plate they won't be the correct combined thickness for your clutch basket . It will be one plate thickness too much which probably would leave your clutchpack level with the tips of your basket fingers.

As far as I know a 7x plate clutch pack for your year has thinner friction plates so that the total clutch pack measures the same overall thickness as a 6x pack.
I should have thought that you needed to buy a 7x friction plate kit

Peanut you are correct. For a '73 tx650 the OEM friction plates were 3.5mm and the OEM steels were 1.6mm for a total stack height of 29mm. On the later 7 friction plate clutch the OEM frictions 3.0mm and the steels are 1.4mm for a total stack height of 29.4mm. The late model 6 pack clutch with the spring loaded bottom steel disc use the same frictions and steels as the mid run years but due to one less friction and steel the total stack height is 25mm (due to the difference at the base of the inner boss). Hope this helps everyone out there.

It's to the end of the inner housing. I had six friction disks and five plates before but they were thicker. Now I have seven friction plates and six metal plates. My understanding is that the newer friction plates were thiner and I had to have more to make it work. How do I upload pics? I don't see an icon in the toolbar.

Back