Clutch pushrod seal

jetmechmarty

Project collector
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
It leaked. I replaced it. It still leaked. Replaced the bushing. Hopefully, I'm done.
0410171349_zpsmxq6sewk.jpg

No joy trying to pull it with a drill bit.

0410171545_zpsl6jkvham.jpg

I tapped the bushing 3/8-16 and threaded a carriage bolt into it. A slide hammer did the rest.
0410171547a_zps53xmubat.jpg

I'd like to hear how you went about installing a clutch pushrod seal w/o splitting the cases AND have it stay put .

~kop

Kop,
I champhered the sharp edge when I replaced it the first time. I put the bushing in with a brass drift. I have one small enough to send it all the way home. I placed the seal over the whole with my thumb. I have a drift with a face almost as large as the seal. I tapped it in with a hammer until it went home. There is a groove in the case and a lip on the seal.

The wheels are off the bike. Once I get that taken care of, I'll know if I was successful. My plan is to ride it in the Ozarks this weekend. 1st, a chiropractor. I think I hurt myself sleeping.

OUCH! Getting old (...let's say....less young....) is no joke. I woke up this morning feeling like somebody had bashed me on the shoulder with a bat.

Anyhow - glad you got that seal back in Marty - hope it works well on your ride (I am VERY envious - wish I could be there too).

Cheers,

Pete

I replaced mine .... sliced a piece off while doing it. Still leaked.

Ordered a new one .... did the SAME thing!!

Got mad .. ordered 5! First one .... perfect!

Hope this fixes your leak.

OUCH! Getting old (...let's say....less young....) is no joke. I woke up this morning feeling like somebody had bashed me on the shoulder with a bat.

Anyhow - glad you got that seal back in Marty - hope it works well on your ride (I am VERY envious - wish I could be there too).

Cheers,

Pete

Some old guy once said to me, "You wake up and nothing hurts? You're dead!" My definition of old keeps advancing.

Yep, that job can be frustrating. A few tips: freeze the seal before installing it to stiffen the rubber, warm the case a little bit with a heat gun or hair dryer, and give the seal a little help with a light, rubber friendly lube (I like Race Tech seal grease, but assembly lube or even petroleum jelly will do in a pinch). If the seal starts to cock, stop right there; remove it and start over. If you try to straighten it by driving the high side down, you'll peel it. As Marty says, the lip should hold the seal in place. If you're in doubt or running a big bore motor, install a one-way valve in the crankcase breather line.

Back