Clutch pushrod

Pennies Earned

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in the process of servicing my clutch worm because finding neutral has been a royal pain. When I pulled the pushrod out to grease it I noticed that there seemed to be some wear on the end. Is this normal? My bike is a '75 and the worm has the ball bearing in it but I don't have anything to see if there is the 2nd ball bearing inside. Is the wear on my pushrod possibly indicating that it might be missing?

-7.jpg

Sorry I know you need answers but I have a ? can you just pull that clutch rod out and it be ok or will I mess the inside up

good question, maybe someone can clarify that as well as I just assumed that pulling it out to grease it wouldn't be an issue. Hopefully that didn't mess anything up

Ya I wasn't sure if it was normal to just pull out no problem so I left it plus I have a foot clutch with a jockey shift so I really didnt wanna mess anything up and im pretty sure the fact that I have no idea what im doing when it comes to the bike mechanic wise I thought I would ask first

You can pull them out without harming anything. You don't really grease the rod, it rides in engine oil. You do want the put a light coating of grease on the part of the rod that sticks outside the motor though. It's usually just plain steel and will rust. Eventually, chain fling-off will coat it but before that happens, it could get rusty. Then you'd be pushing rust through your seal every time you pulled the clutch in.

That discoloration might be the seam between the rod and a hardened steel cap on it's end. I don't know for sure about the early 650 long rods but some other Yamaha models use an alloy rod with hardened steel end caps. I think that was done so the rod expanded at near the same rate as the engine cases when things heated up. That's a problem with the all steel rods in the 650. They expand less than the alloy cases so you get increased freeplay in your clutch lever as things get hot.

Not only is it discolored but there is a small groove as well. When pulling it out it catches somewhat. I ask because the distance between the discoloration and the end of the rod seems to be what the diameter of the ball bearing would be.

Back