Clutch recommendation

Jiles

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I finally got my 81 Special running and clutch is slipping but not bad. I found many different brands but unsure about what brand to purchase. Is there a particular brand of clutch that is recommended for an 81 Special ?
Adjustments have been done.

I use Ferodo friction plates and Vesrah springs from 650 Central with the original steel plates. Make sure your problem wasn't caused by oil that doesn't like wet clutches.

When I first got the bike running, I didn't notice a lot of slip but it had running problems. I didn't change oil because it looked like fresh oil with no discoloration.
I removed and cleaned side filter screen and it had very little contamination. I didn't remove and clean sump filter because bottom of engine was so dirty.
Decided to wait and clean before removal and change oil again.
I installed Chevron Dello 15W-40 diesel engine oil same as what I use in all my older engines.
Could that particular oil be a problem?

I've used Chevron Delo 15W/40 in my XS650 with no problem. The newer CK oils have reduced ZDDP content. That's not very healthy for rocker arms and cam lobes, so I add a bottle of ZDDPlus to a gallon of diesel oil.

Many times, all you need to do is replace the springs. I'd try that 1st before buying all new clutch plates. The original plates are quite robust and I've rarely run across any worn out ones.

Back