clutch,slipping

huey224

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got my bike going today rode it for the first time. cruising it does great start to crack the throttle open and it starts to slip I lugged it up a hill in 3rd (due to a funeral by the house)and no slip. the clutch cable is stretched to the max but im wandering if if my pushrod adjuster is off? also I have been told that the wrong oil will cause your clutch to slip? any help would be greatly appreciated

If you still have the stock clutch springs, they are probably worn out. Otherwise, It only takes a second to loosen up the adjuster at the bars and check the push screw adjustment on the case.

I have heard of non-motorcycle oil causing the clutch to slip, but if it is rated for a wet clutch it should be fine. I'm sure others will chime in - what kind of oil are you running?

well Idk what the previous owner had in it ive only had the bike for 2 weeks or so It was low so i added a little 15-40 diesel oil im thinking too much my sight glass shows no oil but my dipstick says over filled would this cause it too?

I don't think that the oil level would cause the slippage, but if it were me, I'd probably get whatever the PO had in there out and check the filters, etc. It can't hurt to do an oil change.

Seems like the sight glass would show oil if it is overfilled. How are you checking the oil? Is it on the center stand? If you are checking it on the side stand, it's all sloshed to one side which might make it look like it's overfull, and the sight glass is probably on the right side opposite of where the oil is when the bike is on the side stand.

yeah im gonna get some oil and filters and change it. but my bike has no center stand its been hardtailed but i usually park in level and hold it center but the sight glass does not show anything unless its just that clean and clear still lol but my stick shows a little over. also how do i do the spin on oil filter on the side case?

Your stock filters are designed to be cleaned and reused. One in the right side cover and one on the sump plate on the bottom of the engine.
The sump filter is often torn. If so just fix it. A new one will tear in the same spot. Get it good and clean. Use your epoxy of choice. I like JB Weld, it with stands the heat and oil.
Leo

A lot af the times I've had a slipping clutch it's been down to the plain plates getting hot and distorting, easy to tell they go blue and flex in your hands

Back