coil standoffs

I am Carbon

shade tree mechanic
Reaction score
I am going to get mikes coil Part #17-6803 do i need coil standoffs with it?:shrug:
full

full

I needed standoffs for the coil #17-6810. I picked them up at ACE Hardware though. without them my coil wires rub at a awkward angle with the tank. This caused some grounding issues whenever the tank was on the bike.

Carbon,

I should know the answer to this question, but I forgot. It's been a while since I had that coil on my '81.H , but I think that you can use the stock standoffs. Be sure to trim the plastic off of the ends for better heat dissipaiton. See the pic of that on www.yamahaxs650.com .

Carbon,

I should know the answer to this question, but I forgot. It's been a while since I had that coil on my '81.H , but I think that you can use the stock standoffs. Be sure to trim the plastic off of the ends for better heat dissipaiton. See the pic of that on www.yamahaxs650.com .

Pete what is the diff between this coil and your coil?

Pete what is the diff between this coil and your coil?

I now have the 17-6903 "Ultimate" coil installed on my '81/H. You do need standoffs for that coil because the towers are pointed down and you have to offset the coil so the towers will clear the frame.

17-6903.JPG

I have had all of MikesXS coils installed on my '78/E and '81/H to test them and to see how to mount them, but all that work was a couple of years ago. I ended up with the 17-6903 coil on my '81/H and I sold the '78/E and I am very happy with that coil. I ran tests on it to see if you could disconnect a plug wire without destroying the coil and it works just fine. No damage to the coil or the PAMCO, however, I still CAUTION YOU TO NOT DO THIS.

Back