Coil - Which Side Is Which? PAMCO?

PHeller

Erie, PA
Reaction score
Well I'm troubleshooting a weak right cylinder. I can't keep it running via the dead cylinder method. I thought it was compression, but that looks to be solved.

I know its got fuel (though I'm not sure how the idle jet is).

One thing I can't figure out is if I've got the spark plug wires switched.

Right now I've got the Red/White side going to the Right Side Cylinder, and the Orange (or green from PAMCO) going to the Left Side Cylinder.

When I switch the sides it noticably improves the power of the engine. In fact, it goes from no power to well...running normal.

Did I time the engine around the wrong coil setup?

PHeller,

I guess I don't understand your references here. What do you mean by the "red / white side" and the Orange (or green from PAMCO going to the left side? It sounds like you still have the original coils installed.

Pulling the vaccum plug off the carb holder.

Admittedly, I did it a few times with the spare plug ungrounded, but having since ran the bike, it still runs, just with no power. At least if I have the "red/white" side coil to the left cylinder.

When I switch or flip/flop plug leads to the opposite side, it roars to life, seemingly stronger, still doesn't idle on right cylinder only, and doesn't have power off idle.

The right cylinder problem could be as simple as the idle jet being blocked, but I want to rule out any problems with the ignition first.

PHeller,

Well, unless you fried the coil by running it with one plug disconnected, then your problem is not related to the ignition because the coil fires both spark plugs at the same time. I could suggest that you just try new plugs.

Back