Collecting XSJohn's Wisdom

lunatic: that for letting us know about the Heiden needles...but there goes my last resort

anybody know of another place to get at least the canadian needles?, although i'd REALLY love some xsjohn needles

thanks

One could always shave a little material off the right needle... I've shaved needles by chucking them into a drill and polishing with emory cloth as the needle spins... you can concentrate on the areas of the needle where you want to shave more... it's easy.

Here is the original needle John was working on, He was posting his development at 650rider then removed this information, for obvious reasons. As you say 5twins very little has to be taken off. I read in one of his later posts that the needle was modified again so that is probably when he was working with 5twins.

growl: i'm guessing that this is what you referred to when you were shaving your needle?

Here is the original needle John was working on, He was posting his development at 650rider then removed this information, for obvious reasons. As you say 5twins very little has to be taken off. I read in one of his later posts that the needle was modified again so that is probably when he was working with 5twins.

This was a development that was done about 3 1/2 years ago.......... This are is the needle for the BS34's............also this was not the finished product. xsjohn spent a lot of time getting his needles to where he sold them.

You guys are new so a as a caution.......to much fuel will wash the bores then its rebuild time

I would like to see this taken up too. I think a portion of the sales price should go to the family of xsjohn as a legacy in his honor. I for one wouldn't mind paying a premium for them knowing they were supporting the family. IMHO

Hej guys,

signed up here just to give a quick reply on XSJohn's wisdom to keep him alive.... (I bet he has got a nice ride at the place he is right now)
During this winter I aquired an old Lockhart oil cooler and did the oil cooler modification according to XSJohns specs... what to says, it works very well. Started it up with an open valve cover and my hand in front of the hole, one small pull on the throttel and the whole hand was moistened by oil dust. Especially the cold start isn't far as noisy as it had been before due to the oil reserve close to the head ..... John, thanks for your investigations and testings!!!!!

The mod and how it is done....
Garden hose adapter soldered into the oil distribution
IMG_7159.JPG

Standard hydraulic 90° knee fitted in Banjo-Bolt
IMG_7160.JPG

90° knee with 3.2 mm reduction from cooler to head
IMG_7161.JPG

Oil cooler fitted on motor rack
IMG_7173.JPG

View from the side ... not attracting to much attention .... In my opion
IMG_7178.JPG

Going to change the clamps to more unobstrusive ones .....
IMG_7172.JPG

and a pic of my bike ... almost current state
0176f8a6093a4bbdc448b506a1880feb9d10c66e6c.jpg

some kind of wolf in a little red riding hood appearance .... the cooler isn't the first mod :)

Greetz from Germany,
Armin

Last edited:
Sweet! both for reviving the XSJohn thread and a great how to. how it worked, Thanks!
Great looking 78 there.

Armin.........................nice looking Standard. If it was in North America, I would think its a 1978 or 1979 model. But since you are in Germany, I know they had the Standard model up to the 1982 year. I'm curious what year is your bike?

Armin, I have been thinking of mounting a chrome version of that oil cooler to the front motor mount. How did you do it? Your oil cooler system is very neatly done! Thanks for shareing it!

Nice Hydraulic clutch as well.

Caution on opening up the restrict hole.................XSJohn, opened up the hole to the head in conjunction with his oil pump work. Adding a better volume rate allowed for opening up the restriction and running more oil to the head, without compromising the Factory ratio of oil to the head and cases.

2m, has done some work on installing a High Ratio oil pump and opening up the restriction to the head, (keeping factory Ratios), for better lubrication and hopefully a quieter running engine

Hej guys,

thanks for your positive response on my bike and work..... :)
...reviving the XSJohn thread
Good ideas should be kept in mind and the persons who had them should be mentioned :thumbsup:

... nice looking Standard.If it was in North America....
She is a North American, according to my documents registered first 12.12.1977, shipped to Germany in 1991. I own it since March 1994.
Standard...... Little red riding hood :) :) ..... Everything I have done, I did in the light of getting it back to stock without welding .... You do not have to weld in the motor, carbs, intake filter assy ........

I have been thinking of mounting a chrome version of that oil cooler to the front motor mount. How did you do it?
I took a steel plate piece (1,5 mm thick), a ruler, a marker, an angle grinder and cut out this layout
IMG_7206.JPG
Drilled the wholes according to the oil cooler mounting (smaller distance), held it to the motor mount to check the position of the vertical slots in the mount, drilled some holes and fixed it with flathead allen screws
Not really road tested yet, but it feels stiff and stable.

Nice Hydraulic clutch as well.
Both, caliper and pump are stock parts of a Kawasaki GPZ 900. You have to bore out the clutch cover to fit the caliper and adjust the length of the clutch push rod

Caution on opening up the restrict hole.................XSJohn, opened up the hole to the head in conjunction with his oil pump work. Adding a better volume rate allowed for opening up the restriction and running more oil to the head, without compromising the Factory ratio of oil to the head and cases.
2m, has done some work on installing a High Ratio oil pump and opening up the restriction to the head, (keeping factory Ratios), for better lubrication and hopefully a quieter running engine
Okay, I thought i read that John did his mod with the original oil pump and the 0.2 mm larger restriction hole is because of the extra gravity and resistance that is caused by the oil cooler .... but I also read about the Johnism, some kind of special grammar that he used. Maybe I couldn't get all due to the fact that English isn't my mother tongue :laugh: ....... thanks I will have an eye on that, but I think there is enough reserve in the system.
Why reserve? ... As far as I know the early XS 1 even had a smaller oil pump (6 mm thick) and a 5 mm hole in the banjo bolt, Yamaha changed this configuration to 8 mm at the pump and a 3 mm hole at the banjo bolt. Seems to me that they added an extra reserve to the original design to be absolutley sure about the quantity of the oil flow....
There are some discussions and of course some more opinons about this... my opinion is that the reduction is not only about reducing the oil flow to the head and to have a special ratio head/case, one of the main reasons for me is the Bernoulli effect of the reduction (Imagine to try to balance a table tennis ball on the air stream of a hair dryer, it will always fall to the side and not into the source of the stream). Especially at lower rpm and/or when the oil gets hot, the capacity of the pump is very low. Then the effect prevents the oil from sinking back into the main oil galley.....

But this are just my two pence, I'm just an interested amateur with a more or less good understandig of the pieces that I own for a longer time ... so no guarantee on this ..... ;)

Greetz,
Armin[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
.... One of the advantages of being a non native speaker is that you have to think about what you want to express......
Probably Yamaha changed the oil pump design as a necessary follow up to the implementation of the electric starter.... with this they had to reduce the total oil amount from 3.2 litres to 2.6 litres. The less amount of oil has to take the same amount of thermic load and therefore gets hotter, this causes a lower viscosity and you have to improve the pumping rate to get the same amount of oil in place.

The oil cooler not only gives cooler oil to the head, it also reduces the overall oil temperature. As a result the viscosity of the oil stays at a higher level and the pump will deliver enough oil to the relevant parts ...
But as before, this is just an amateur theory to give some soul-massage until I know if it really works out

How interesting doing the carb mods on the xs 650 engine. I don't have a bike yet (had a '77 Special in 1979) but over the course of some years modified tripple 2" SU carbs on a Jag engine such that I could at sea level, move the needles up/down 0.01" and or adj. jet to tune for atmospheric seasonal running. The SU's had a screw that locked the needle in place. Trial and error picking the best needles. Then using a Dremel, sanded the needle prfile to match my thirsty engine needs....they were not all the same. Getting ahead of myself...need a bike 1st.

Back