Community Work Shop

kent_in_kc

Heartlander
Reaction score
THis is primarily directed at guys in the KC area but it could work anywhere.

I was reading this:

http://money.cnn.com/2010/09/14/technology/techshop/index.htm?source=cnn_bin&hpt=Sbin

and thinking it would be cool if a bunch of guys threw some money and equipment into a pot, rented a cheap space and set up a machine shop for their own use. Personal projects, inventions, making things to sell...

Lots of guys (and women) have ideas, talent, a need and desire to make and fix things... many of us have some tools and equipment... if we all paid a small (?) membership fee and thus acquired voting rights we could use the money to pay rent and buy new equipment.

We could mimic the health club membership model with a 12-month 'commitment' (no hard ass fights if someone wants out) and auto draw from each member's checking acct to keep it running smooth and simple so you don't have to chase people down for their monthly dues.

What do you think? Change your own tires, build a bike, make a bookcase, straighten a dented fender, refinish an antique, etc. in a climate controlled, clean, well-lighted, well-equipped shop. In addition to equip you would have guys around that could help with how-to advice and a little extra muscle when needed.

I'll bet there are scores of guys in this area that would join. We've got retirees from TWA and American, the Ford and GM guys... woodworkers, hot rodders... gun owners (a little smithing, blueing or Cera-Coating?)

We could contribute tools and equipment on a lend-lease arrangement or donate stuff in lieu of member fees.

Hell, my stuff alone would be a decent start. A paint booth, sandblasting cabinet, drill presses, powder coating, ceramic coating, kiln, airbrush, metal and wood cutting band saws, table saws, miter saws, MIG welders, acetylene, compressors, air tools, jacks, work stands, sawzall, sanders, buffers, grinders, lasers, computers, decal printers, test equipment...

I've also got a car/bike hauler trailer with ramps and electric winch that people could use to get projects and broken down vehicles in to the shop.

Sure, there are things that could go wrong as in any enterprise. Just plan for them and set up rules and contingencies. Schedule equipment, plan for what happens when something get busted or disappears, what to do when someone becomes an unbearable ass...

Damn, now I'm all torqued up. Think about this guys.

Kent

I will join no club that would have me as a member. It sure seems like a good idea but the only place I heard of where it works is in retirement communities where they keep a full time staffer to make it all go smoothly. Had enough of that shared thing in High school shop. It would give me someone to blame my lost tools on though!

I agree you would need a full time employee to clean and maintain the shop in order to make a system like that work otherwise there would be fighting and taddle taleing between members

Posted via Mobile

YEah, Gary, I expect you'd have to have a shop Nazi. Buncha damn bikers tearing things up... I tell ya.

Anthony, talk with your local folks. Be the man. Organize it.

Hell, get Bill Gates to join. Um, nah, he'd want to put a Start button on the front door and people with viruses would always be sneaking in the back door. He'd complain about the lack of storage and want to make everyone wear a logo'ed uniform.

A lot of military bases have something like that. And they do have someone staff it all the time and you have to check out your tools when you start. I'm not sure how easy this would be to run as a private business though. I wonder how much the liability insurance would cost to run a place like that. You'd think with the overhead expenses, insurance, tools, and the costs to pay the guy to man the tool checkout and keep the place clean, the monthly expenses would be kind of high, making membership fees pretty high. Well maybe not.. If it was like a gym membership where lots of people pay and think they'll go, but never do, it might work.

That's the whole point, Trav. Get the suckers to sign the agreement then watch them just come once or twice.

Thanks, man. Now you've blown it wide open and nobody will fall for it! I tell ya...

Okay, I should have read that article more closely. I actually like the idea. I'd pay $125 or more to have access to a full blown shop. Especially if they had big welders, lathes, mills, laser cutting, plasma cutting, waterjet cutting, torches, press brakes, shears, english wheels, cold saws, vehicle hoists, etc.... I don't think the company the article talks about even has all of that stuff, and I know you're talking on a much smaller scale.

If the main goal is to give guys access to larger tools and machines that wouldn't normally be feasible to own or run in your garage, then it might be something I'd be interested it. I'd still do most of my work at home and go there to use the bigger machines. Just having access to a mill, lathe, and big welder would make it worth it for most guys.

You might check with your local Vo-Tech. Several years ago a buddy and I took the machine tool course 3 nights a week and learned alot. The first semester you had to make your exercise machine items but any semester after that you could make any personal project you wanted. One guy was building an electric VW and was machining the bellhousing to hook motor to VW transaxle for an example. The cost if I remember right was about $250 a semester. Pretty cheap for access to Bridgeports, lathes, and stuff all in a well lit and warm shop.

I tried to contact TechShop about opening a location in Chicago, no reply. Very sad, I'd quit my job and invest money to open one.

This is a great idea but hard to make it work. I know there are allot of good guys out there that could make it work but I think you will be hard pressed to find them. I have come to learn that allot of people don't respect stuff that is not theirs.

The whole point of that article was that it was a success. This isn't a group share, it's a fully furnished paradise that has a very systematic, well thought out way of doing things. There are likely tons of employees on site, like at a large health club; not just one guy sitting at a desk. You're going to have to put a credit card on file when you join, and tools are checked out when you use them. If you return it not working, you're accountable. If someone doesn't respect the tools, they're buying TechShop new ones, so it really won't affect you if the next guy respects them or not.

Have you guys seen pics of these places? They're amazing. Huge. Incredible. I would kill to have one near me.

Abrasives

Disk Sander, Large, Pedestal Mounted
Grinders, Pedestal Mounted
Sand Blasting Cabinet
Wire Wheel, Bench Mounted
Vibratory Polisher

Arts and Crafts

Vinyl Cutter, Computer-Controlled
Glass Cutters, Stained Glass
Soldering Irons, Stained Glass

Automotive

Floor Jack and Jack Stands
Motorcycle Lift
Transmission Jack
Engine Hoist
Battery Charger
Pneumatic Tools

Electronics

Multimeter
Oscilloscope
Soldering Station
Power Supply, DC
Signal Generator
Frequency Counter
Variable Transformer, Variac

Fabrication

Cold Saw
Drill Press
Horizontal Band Saw
Vertical Band Saw
Tubing Bender
Angle Iron Bender/Notcher

Fabrics and Sewing

Sewing Machine, Industrial
Sewing Machine, Standard
Overlock Machine, Serger
Embroidery Machine, Computer Controlled

Hand Tools

Assorted Hand and Power Tools

Instruction

Camera, Digital SLR
Projector

Layout

Granite Surface Plate
Height Gauges, Digital

Machining

Lathe, Large Metal, with Digital Readout and Tooling
Milling Machine, Large, with Digital Readout and Tooling
Milling Machine, 4-Axis, CNC (Tormach)

Measurement

Calipers, Digital and Dial
Micrometer, Digital

Plastics

Vacuum Forming Station, 24" x 24"
Heat Strip Bender
Injection Molder (Morgan)
Router Table

Prototyping

3D Printer, ABS
Laser Cutter, Epilog (Helix 60 Watt)
3D Scanner (NextEngine)

Sheet Metal

Box and Pan Brake
English Wheel
Planishing Hammer, Air-Powered
Rotary Turret Punch
Sheet Metal Shear, Power, 48" Wide
Slip Roll, Power, 48" Wide
Throatless Shear, Bench Mounted
Corner Notcher

Surface and Finishing

Powder Coating Station and Oven
Spray Painting Area, Ventilation Hood

Welding

Plasma Cutter, CNC, 4' x 8' (Torchmate)
Welder, TIG
Welder, MIG
Welder, Spot
Plasma Cutter, Hand Held

Wood Working

Wood Router, CNC (ShopBot)
Table Saw (SawStop)
Compound Miter Saw, Sliding
Table Router
Band Saw
Belt/Disc Sander, Free Standing
Lathe, 24", 3HP
Scroll Saw
Drill Press, Free Standing

And that's just the list of core tools, each location has additional tools.

Sounds awesome.

Guess I am one of the lucky few that has a friend with a fully blown machine shop right up the road... Sometimes he charges me a little, sometimes not. Sometimes we just trade.

I want a friend like that. Unfortunately, with my group of friends, I'm that person, and the most elite tool I have is a drill press.

sounds good except for folks like me. It takes me 30 minutes to get to cracker barrel on hwy 152 and i-35 . I given thought to having a shop with a lift for guys to work on cars ( when I retire in about 6 years ) and even store them here away from prying ( the misses ) eyes.

Hey I checked that tool list, big deal. No hammers OR chisels listed. hmmph Yes on the volky tech I stopped in on a local high school night class one time bunch of guys were working together pouring brass steam engine castings. The class was the cheapest way to get access to the tools they needed.

I have the kind of arrangement you're describing, with my neighbor. He borrows my tools.

I'm near KC and I'd be all over this. I have some basic tools, but it'd be awesome to be able to work with some more advanced stuff that I don't have the money to buy myself right now.

Back