1980 XS650 Hardtail - "Horny Little Devil" Project

RockingThePartyDJ

XS650 Obsessed
Reaction score
Man in the infamous words of the band Whitesnake (sing it you know the words! LOL) "Here I Go Again" I picked up a titled homemade Hardtailed XS650 frame over a year ago along with most of an engine and alot of misc parts from the west side of wisconsin, I can't remember but it may have been when i was scouring craigslist ad's and picked it all up for about $150.
So now it's time to work on making it into a roller to start, basically I have 4 builds happening at once which works well with what i'll call my MAADD "My Adult Attention Distraction Disorder" LOL basically get bored or waiting for parts or tools for one project then jump to another for awhile.
I may name this one "Horny Little Devil" basically if you knew me fairly well you'd say the name fits!!!!
Also I kinda remember a skit Flip Wilson did wayyy back when where he'd say "The Devil Made Me Do It Honey" but i'll drop the honey off for my purposes. Anyways, I don't have the exact measurements but rough measurements look like about an 11" stretch! Whew she's Long. Take a Look! :D

1 Hardtail Frame Only.jpg

I picked up forks from a guy down in Appleton wi that had a craigslist ad and some wheels for $75 leftover from a past project he did.
So lets see them on this frame.

1 Hardtail bench.jpg

I ordered some upper fork covers to give one of my bikes that nostolgic old skool look after I saw how awesome they looked on jdizon's Pocket Rocket "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" so they say, it also reminded of my first bike a Yamaha YA5 a 125cc street bike i picked up when I was 14 after working all summer for my grandfather peeling pulp wood for the local paper mills, man that was a ball busting job in the heat, I remember we used to get 50 cents a stick! a stick was a tree about 80 feet tall that you peel all of the bark off of once it was dropped and limbed, and me and my cousin absolutely balls to the walls bustin our humps could only make $2.50 and hour when we would race each other working and he always kicked my ass LOL man memories. I do miss that first bike. Two weeks before I turned 16 I got 5 tickets riding home from a girls house in between the pouring rain i took off and didnt look down the road and a State cop was heading toward me. Well he pulled me over and wrote me 5 tickets and told me to push it home, well i did for about a half mile maybe more and said f it and rode it home and parked it and went in and put the tickets on the table while my mom was cooking and set the keys on top of them and went to my room. The next day I decided to put it for sale on the end of the driveway. I sure miss that bike. But at least the Juvie officer still let me get my license when I turned 16!

Anyways, I put on some handle bars I had that I thought would look good and took her off the bench and rolled her outside, and here is the start of my "Horny Little Devil"

1 Hardtail Outside Roller.jpg

Anyways, when the Upper Fork Covers get here hopefully tomorrow I'll put them on this bike, I think it may be a good choice because I want it to look somewhat like an old Skool Chop somewhat with some modern looks like the Mag's & Disc Brakes at least for now, I do have some Spoked wheels I may consider using, but we'll see.

Also I ordered a Sparto Tailight a half of a Ribbed 36 Ford spare tire Ring and some bullet turn signals along with a bullet headlight all from the evil E of Bay
and I got side tracked and missed out on another old ribbed 36 ford ring fender today damnit for the front, although i may order a bates style headlight that might work better and tie in with the ribbed fender, we'll see.

I'm also gonna make my own seat, I think I want it to give the resemblance of a Saddle, I picked up some Leather Tooling type equipment and am gonna learn how to do this. I will create my own seat!

So stay tuned.........

Last edited:
Hey Guy's I got my Upper Fork Covers today from Vintage Customs, I had to rip open the box and check them out when I got home. I think I may get out there in the garage and put them on there tonight to check em out.
100_0438.jpg

If I get them on tonight i'll post another Pic on this later tonight.

I'm also excited that I won another complete 36 Ford Ribbed Tire Ring tonight, so now I have a complete ring and a half ring to make 2 fenders for this bike. I will be selling the extra leftover ring here or on ebay which i'm guessing there will still be enough left for 2 more Fenders when I'm done, I really love that ribbed fender look. I'll post pic's when I receive them both.

Last edited:
I couldn't wait so I went out in the Garage tonight and removed my frontend and mounted My new Vintage Customs Fork Covers and reassembled the wheels n forks.
1 fork covers.jpg
I Liked the look and did a quick mock up of my new Bullet Style Headlight, i'll have to make a better mount bracket for it.
1 Fork Covers n headlight side.jpg

I also received my new Bullet Turn Signals And Sparto Taillight
1 bullet blinkers.jpg
I'm thinking I may come up with mounts on the Fork Tube Covers for the front Turn Signals and i'll probably weld Tubing to the top Hardtail down tubing near the rear of the seat area when I know where that is, I picked up a piece of 12"x24" sheet metal and am going to make a template for the rolls I want in it. and I picked up some 11 gauge 12"x24" steel plate for making a seatpan. More about that soon.

So I was thinking about coming up with a unique or different Electronics tank or box and i had a thought about some small hubcaps i remember seeing on a barracuda? or was it something else LOL anyways it was years ago, and they looked like cool little flying saucers, so i did some searching and found a decent set online and they got here today, the post man rocks sometimes lol

100_0511.jpg

100_0512.jpg

So i plan on using 2 of them to make a cylinder, the Hubcaps are 9" so i think i'm gonna use a heavy duty 9" cake ring maybe a 4" high one to make my electronic's box.

100_0507.jpg

Hmm Future build a Rocket/Space/Alien themed bike Hmmm
Brains going again.

I have 7 XS's now, including the one I just picked up last week.

Great deal on craigslist from a guy down south of me about a hour n half away, man the rims are beautiful, engine looks good with pretty good compression, the guy had it for 7 years 6 of them in his basement and moved it twice LOL and planned a project but as we know life gets in the way but once he knew i was into these bikes and would NOT part it out, he gave me a great deal $250!!!!

New Bike.jpg

This one is gonna be just the basic's, and my inspiration is Trons Stovetop Scrambler, I love the look with just the basic's black n bare metal, it's pretty sweetl

Anyways the guy i got the bike from is a master welder and works for Miller (Welder type Miller LOL not beer :( ), one of those people you wish lived closer, decent guy, and he was wearing an Exile Shop Shirt which made me think about the black and bare metal look like most of their earlier builds at Exile Choppers & Trons build too.
The guy I got this bike from has an awesome benelli he is making into a board tracker it's pretty sweet, so with wife n kid and other projects he decided it was time for this project to go.

Back to this build, I gotta make some fender stays for my front n back Fenders i'm making out of a 36 Ford ribbed tire ring. Pic' soon.

More to come so stay tuned........

What did those fork covers cost ya ?

$100 (primed) plus shipping, got to http://vintagecustoms.tumblr.com/
and the shipping calculator will give you a total, mine was $18 to northern Wisconsin.

I also picked up a set for a vstar on ebay for $23 and i'm gonna see if i can modify them to work on a XS650, if i'm successful i will post what i did to make them work, I definitely like the old skool look it gives your forks, I will be painting mine black eventually.

Back