Comparing modern style two cylinders

Bushyeyed1

Cafe Racer
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I have been doing some research and drooling over some modern style two bangers that I would love to see sitting next to my XS650 in the garage. Right now my eye has been focused on either the Yamaha xsr700 or the Yamaha fz/mt-07. I mainly like the xsr700 for its retro look and it can be said it is a distant relative to the XS650. The FZ/MT-07 is almost the same bike with only cosmetic differences and slightly different gearing ratios. Just would like to get some other people’s impressions of maybe a newer model two cylinder they own or maybe ride in comparison to their XS650. I understand that modern bikes have creature comforts that older bikes didn’t, but what are your feeing about them. Do you like throttle by wire or cable? ABS or not? Ease of maintenance? Digital vs Analog? Let me hear all your thoughts.

Attachments

• A78CB8D5-84DE-4CBF-8D98-A29ABCDA9A13.jpeg
    A78CB8D5-84DE-4CBF-8D98-A29ABCDA9A13.jpeg
    85.1 KB · Views: 197
  • 82ECABCE-7841-406C-A574-585AC73DCD75.jpeg
    82ECABCE-7841-406C-A574-585AC73DCD75.jpeg
    173.5 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
I have been doing some research and drooling over some modern style two bangers that I would love to see sitting next to my XS650 in the garage. Right now my eye has been focused on either the Yamaha xsr700 or the Yamaha fz/mt-07. I mainly like the xsr700 for its retro look and it can be said it is a distant relative to the XS650. The FZ/MT-07 is almost the same bike with cosmetic differences and a dual ohc instead of a single with different gearing ratios. Just would like to get some other people’s impressions of maybe a newer model two cylinder they own or maybe ride in comparison to their XS650. I understand that modern bikes have creature comforts that older bikes didn’t, but what are your feeing about them. Do you like throttle by wire or cable? ABS or not? Ease of maintenance? Digital vs Analog? Let me hear all your thoughts.

I bought a 2011 Suzuki DL650 V Strom when it was new, I rode it up until about a year ago. It was probably the best all around motorcycle I’ve ever owned. Fuel injected, water cooled, ABS brakes, it was fast , smooth, suspension was very comfortable. It fired up immediately when you thumbed the button and idled perfectly.
I wish I still had it. For me the only downside was I couldn’t work on it, it was too complicated. It was very much like owning a modern car, just wash it occasionally , get the oil changed and ride it.

That Yamaha 700 gets really good reviews too. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy one if it appeals to you.

My old Suzuki,
6B64DEEB-FF61-49BE-83D4-9B5C9D9848A5.jpeg

I look around a fair amount for a replacement for the too big but super comfy road couch Royal Star that I sold, the Moto Guzzi Nevada (gone) didn't work, I have problems with the 700 class and my lanky 6'3". Looked pretty seriously at the Honda CTX/ NC 700's, 270 degree forward tilted twins. CX standard seating, CTX a more "Cruiser" type feet forward. One could still happen but currently building Ywain as my answer to a 700 class that fits me for long rides.
For me one factor that matters o_O is gas station attention. Your XS is like a sports car and smiles and thumbs up are common, people stop to chat. A modern 700 class bike is like driving a Camry, about as exciting and memorable as a refrigerator, you are completely anonymous. :shrug:

OK, Gary, maybe modern bikes aren't fashion statements, but I care more about the ride than wiping some idiot's drool off my gas tank! I owned a Zook SV650 for years. Damping needed improvement, but Race-Tech emulators and a double-clicker Ohlins shock cured it: a friend of mine who did some Pro-Am roadracing called it "A poor man's Ducati--only better" (tell me again that it didn't have "character!") The engine was pure sorcery--stump-pulling grunt, an 11K redline, 11:1 static CR, and--wait for it--87 octane pump gas recommended, although I used premium for its greater stability. The only maintenance it needed apart from oil changes, air filter cleaning, cable lube, etc. was valve lash setting--at around 20K miles, and the only (minor) PITA involved reinstalling the rear cylinder cam chain adjuster. Sold it after buying a Kawasaki 650 Ninja parallel twin for its friendlier two-up handling and lower saddle. Again, sorcery--ungodly high compression, 87 octane recommended. Haven't done the valves on that one yet, the service interval is 26K miles. Again, it's needed nothing but routine care. Both bikes have a higher top speed than I've had the stones to explore, with fine low rpm pull and absolutely no peakiness. You don't know what the modern standard of performance and reliability is until you've owned one of these liquid cooled, fuel injected machines. If I had to choose between the Kawi and my old D-model--scratch that--I don't have to!

Back