Scary animals...

I'm not lying; he really did that. I never got to know him or what his story was. He wasn't that outgoing.
It's been developed additionally since I was a member. There are new ranges that were woods back then. There were a lot of deer there and they had a youth hunt every year for kids. There were coyotes there too, chasing the deer. You were allowed to shoot coyotes on the property if you wanted, but you better not shoot a deer!

I'm not lying; he really did that. I never got to know him or what his story was. He wasn't that outgoing.
It's been developed additionally since I was a member. There are new ranges that were woods back then. There were a lot of deer there and they had a youth hunt every year for kids. There were coyotes there too, chasing the deer. You were allowed to shoot coyotes on the property if you wanted, but you better not shoot a deer!
not doubting you but 75 yds for a unsupported pistol shot is stretching it. it cannot have been a service pistol it must have been a Sig or some other tricked out gun ?

heres our old NRA 600 yd rifle range ...had some fun there.
It was a bloody long walk to the butts and back and I once nearly shot a Helicopter that flew straight across my line of fire behind the butts and distracted me.

NRA range.jpg

I didn't think about you doubting me, but it's hard to believe. Best as I can remember he used a normal-looking revolver, long barrel, but not super long. Don't remember what caliber but not rimfire. He was sitting behind a concrete table and maybe resting on it some way. I don't remember a scope, but maybe there was one. When I asked him about the pistol once I think he said it was modified somehow. I know there are lots of things you can do to accurize revolvers.

Besides the shooting and the catfish they had a kennel where lots of people kept their hunting dogs. After my father got aged he came up to visit and we went out there and shot but the highlight for him was visiting the dogs. We always had a bird dog or two and went quail hunting.

I shoot an 1858 Remington Pietta replica , actually have several of them, but was going to take one deer hunting so took it to range for 50 yard sight-in. It would print very good groups at that range, keeping all 6 round balls on an 8 inch circle. Load was 10 grains real 3f black powder topped with one 30 grain Pyrodex pellet, load a ball on top and bore butter greased over the ball. Others that have chronographed that load report 1040 to 1055 fps. That's sending a 140 grain round ball almost supersonic and plenty enough energy to take deer. Never got a deer inside my self-imposed 35 yd shooting range though so quit taking it hunting, but still fun to shoot! ...........Oh yeah , that one has a 12inch barrel and adjustable sights.

You're less than a couple hundred miles from the club. You could look into joining. It's in Wilmore. I lived in Lexington at the time. There's a lot of ppl there interested in exotic stuff like that. If you want to hunt with a pistol, there's a Remington pistol that's like a little hand-held rifle that's supposed to be real accurate. I forget the name, but I'm sure you know of it. Not sure what's legal for hunting these days though. .223 wasn't for a long time, then they got the law changed specifically to counter arguments trying to ban the AR on the basis that it wasn't for hunting... If we keep talking about guns, we're going to make Peanut feel even worse :(

6:30 this morning , right after I took my dog out in the back yard , I heard my dog going ballistic inside the house. I looked out my back door and there were two huge javelinas, just about 10 feet off of my patio, just strolling through my back yard. :yikes:

6:30 this morning , right after I took my dog out in the back yard , I heard my dog going ballistic inside the house. I looked out my back door and there were two huge javelinas, just about 10 feet off of my patio, just strolling through my back yard. :yikes:

YIKES - now, what the heck is a javelina again?

I wouldn't get close up and personable to give then a chance. Or even advise to. They do charge if threatened.

They are roughly 2 feet tall and average 35-55lbs. They are usually shy animals that would rather avoid contact with humans, they have very good hearing and a really good sense of smell, but have poor eye sight. Most confrontations are accidental and occur because the javelina was startled and felt threatened. They can give a nasty slashing bite. They are not pigs, they are a collared peccary, a close cousin.
DC3E855D-0A8F-4CE7-88E7-1D228372BA24.jpeg
C4CCCE94-14A8-435C-BBCF-16723B66DFD0.jpeg
E9E4EAB8-E203-42EC-A63A-898AB84923F8.jpeg

Back