Component Restoration

GarnZ

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I'm a newbie from TX/XS500 forum with a query.
I assume around 1974 the Xs650 may have had these or similar inlet manifold covers.
I'm trying to determine the finish/ colour etc.
A lot of Japanese parts, bracket and the like were "Nato- green" an army khaki colour around the seventies.
I do think they were painted, it looks dark grey!

IMG_0286_zpse871eb09.jpg

RegardZ.

Thanks for the prompt reply guys. I will investigate that process.
I think I've seen it before. I may have to settle for a dark grey flat paint.
BTW, I made the accompanying clamps for these covers, zinc plated, but could be flash chrome?

RegardZ

Yes, they had some sort of gray finish to them but they quickly turn a rather ratty looking brown or rust color due to the heat. I know, I installed some N.O.S. ones I got off eBay because mine looked so nasty. In a few weeks, so did the new ones, lol. Here they are, dingy brown again in no time .....

FullyMounted.jpg

Good pic 5twins. Can't believe the responses, i only posted my query 2 hours ago!
Would you all agree the clamps around these manifold covers are zinc plated?
f06154ff-e051-4509-9623-3c109027865f_zps493ca9fa.jpg

RegardZ.

That would be my best guess. I don't think they're chrome, not shiny enough. I highly recommend you switch out the original Phillips clamp screws for Allens. The clamps need to be fully tightened so the two clamp halves touch. You can't do that if your original screw heads are buggered up some (and most are). An M5 x 16 works fine (even though the originals are a bit longer).

Back