Concrete shop floor coatings what's good (bad)??

Roy, nice shop. What did you use on the ceiling?

Groits is great for garage items bit pricey but nice stuff.

I used the rustoleum epoxy garage floor paint with the paint chips. Picked it up at home depot. It came out fantastic after 3years still looks top notch. It uses the etching acid first and then paint , topped with paint chips. Easy to do. First thing I did after buying the house. I'll post a few pics.

Gary, Super job, you're gonna love it! Epoxy products get harder as time passes. If you can, stay off about twice as long as the instructions require. When I know I'm about to abuse the floor, (centerstand, big hammers, etc.) I try to put down a sheet of cardboard to provide a bit of protection.

Chef, The ceiling is just "white steel" siding from the local lumberyard. Its a bright, clean, reflective surface that is washable.

roy

Roy how is the noise with the steel on the ceiling? Does it reflect the sound a lot? I was thinking of doing that in my garage but the living room is directly above it. Dont want it to carry thru the ceiling.

I assume there is something up there already? Sheetrock? If so I don't think it would be an issue. If not there should be, as a fire retardant if nothing else. Can't think that the steel would make it worse except of course while you're putting it up. lol!

Lil
yeah the wife will love listen to that being installed, Haha. Yeah sheet rock il already so might have to seriously consider that steel siding. Thanks Roy.

Thanks Dave. Yeah we have a serious FIB shortage around here this winter. No fun playing cards for our OWN MONEY!
After the pics I did a full scrape of the floor with a 12" drywall knife, broomed and vacuumed up the loose chips, and put on a layer of clear. It seems to be a good trade off between glossy but enough texture so it's not slippery when wet. I put base board on and will caulk that to the floor. I'm about ready to put the bike lift in there.

Seven years later, so happy I did this! The garage bay next to this has 50 year old concrete that is spalling and constantly dusty. About the only pick is the floor near the east facing garage door has yellowed from sun exposure, that's prolly the clear yellowing.. Literally thousands of motorcycle in outs, moving bikes around on their centerstand, pushing lifts around with bikes on them. Heavy equipment in and out multiple times. Heartily recommend chips with clear over also. Only time I've come close to a fall is after I accidently ran an XS motor with the valve covers off. :doh:. mineral spirits and paper towel took care of that. That's my typical floor (and lift) clean up. Should epoxy the lift, HEY!!!

I was in a really nice garage a few weeks ago working on a Triumph TR3. The floor was overdone with the paint chips but it really provided a great non-slippery almost cushiony surface. It also had a clear coat. Very expensive at more than $4/sq ft.
IMG_0276.JPG

20181221_183011.jpg Here's a pic that includes the floor covering i put in my pole barn this last summer. It is Rustoleum Rocksolid two part. They call it polycuramine and advertise it as being much stronger than other 2-part epoxies. I first used a concrete etch and let it dry real good before applying. Had real issues with first coat not covering the advertised coverage. Called Rustoleum and they refunded the entire amount I paid, allowing me to put two coats on for the price of one. Tough stuff and very chemical resistant but pricey stuff and you'll need almost twice the amount as what you calculate based on advertised coverage. Was very impressed with how the company stood behind their product.

Last edited:
Back