Condenser Question

xlr8tn

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey,
My 1977 XS650 came with a rats nest of wires and rigged with a pep boys style switch and button and no key. When I picked it up, it started using the push button, as well as kick start. However, now that I am in the process of rebuilding it, I noticed that I was missing the condenser. Why would the previous owner gotten rid of this? Do I need it? I plan to install a HHB PMA with their voltage reg/rec. I will run a Shorai lithium battery and put back the ignition switch. I also noticed that there was not a fuse box anywhere, but I want to install the motogadget, which has built in fuses, so I think I will be ok.

If you still have points, you should have condensers. The points will burn up fast without them. You may have them but you're just not seeing them. They are originally mounted in a pretty hidden spot, up behind the top motor mount on the left side. They look like a little tin can. Here, you can see them peeking out from behind the motor mount just below the red plug wire .....

CondenserHook-up.jpg

How do I know if I have points or not? Perhaps they updated this. I am missing that part but see the two little screws that would have mounted it.

Yeah...definitely don't have point as there is an electronics circuit board where the points would have gone.

Remove the little chrome cover at the top of the engine on the left side. That is where the points would be .....

SinglePointsDwell.jpg

If you find something like this instead, someone has upgraded the system to a Pamco electronic ignition .....

PamcoSetting.jpg

The Pamco doesn't use the condensers.

On your fuses, your 77 had just one fuse. It was located under the right side cover. It held the main 20 amp fuse and a spare. It looked like this. yours may have red wires.
Leo

Attachments

• 10-2004 fuse holder.jpg
    10-2004 fuse holder.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 151
Back