Confirming my I have a 79 XS-F

XSNate

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Here is a pic of the stem. I have side panels that say special 2? Maybe they were added?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 119
you would be better off posting in the dedicated ID thread in the xs650 tech section.

It may be a coincidence but my frame number is only 590 earlier than yours and mine has Special side covers too ?

The ID records all seem to suggest that our bikes should be Special ll not Special !.

Any chance you could post a picture of your bike from the side ?
Does it have wire wheels or magnesium ? and is your seat a high king & queen seat ?

Looked at your video and everything about it looks like a 79 special II to me, curved pipes spoke 16 -19 alloy wheels, special tank, seat, side covers.

Well that's helpful! Thanks guys! Now to figure out what's so "special" ;)

hey nate any chance of an answer to any of my questions ? i'm also trying to make sense of the ID of my bike and a picture or some information about yours might be a big help. Thanks

The 19" and 16" spoked alloy rims are a big clue. The '79 Special II was the only model that had them. Any other year Special II had chromed steel rims.

Sorry peanut, gggary posted a previous post of my bike when I was having ignition problems. Did u see it? I have spoke and the step seat. And yes I agree it is a special II. Or a XS-SF-II.

You completely missed my post, didn't you, the one about the alloy rims being unique to that year and model. I'm afraid I've had to start a list of "do not respond to" posters here. The membership is so huge and unfortunately, it includes some totally inept morons. There's no helping those people, no matter what you say, it goes right over their little heads. You are now officially on the list.

You completely missed my post, didn't you, the one about the alloy rims being unique to that year and model. I'm afraid I've had to start a list of "do not respond to" posters here. The membership is so huge and unfortunately, it includes some totally inept morons. There's no helping those people, no matter what you say, it goes right over their little heads. You are now officially on the list.

5twins I find your post utterly offensive. It is an entirely uncalled for personal attack on me using discriminatory and offensive language. I suggest that you remove it with an apology as it is not acceptable behaviour.

Really! Peanut your bike Frame and wheels were ID''d in the ID thread and again yesterday in your poster/article thread.

I think you have bought a bike that has a lot of parts that do not belong to the Frame. You need to take detailed pics of all the other parts and post them, or do some research yourself.

this is precisely what I am doing skull :wink2:

The only way that I can do original research on this is to see other bikes of the same period and with a similar or close frame number range and compare for myself

This is my first xs650 and I have no other experience or knowledge to draw upon so I am left with asking other members questions about their bikes so that I can build up a information base of my own.

If you do not wish to help me further I am happy with that . What I am not happy with is the derogatory comments and ridicule that some older members show other newer members that have less experience or knowledge about the xs650.

if your desire to help and inform others has jaded please desist from offering help and advice to me as I would rather not have any at all from someone who is going to be rude and offensive.

I didn't miss your post 5twins ....I ignored it :wink2: there is a difference.

The reason that I ignored your post is because like so many other people on the net you regurgitate the same old rubbish you read or heard somewhere without doing any genuine research or checking the facts yourself.

I see it all the time .

One person says this is the case about something or other then everyone reading it just repeats it verbatim (look up verbatim)

The fact is 5twins... no one knows for sure about some of these bikes because there are conflicting reports and Yamaha didn't help matters with their frame numbering for the 1979 models.

Plus the fact that my bike is 33 years old and has been refurbished/overhauled countless times in that period and will possibly have been upgraded with used parts from bikes of different periods.

I have to do my own independent research and satisfiy myself about what is right and what isn't about my bike and the 1979 models.

I accept nothing, about anything, from anyone ,ever!....... but then I am an academic so I understand how it is that we find out about things in this World through an enquiring and open mind just like I solved the guys fork problem yesterday ...remember .

Sorry peanut, gggary posted a previous post of my bike when I was having ignition problems. Did u see it? I have spoke and the step seat. And yes I agree it is a special II. Or a XS-SF-II.

thank you for your reply nate.

No i didn't see the post by GGary or your other thread but I will take a look thank you.

Like you i am trying to find out more about my bike through original research rather than just blindly accepting what someone else tells me is the case. its the way that i find out about everything in life .

Accepting something someone else states is the case is pointless in my experience as others rarely bother to do the proper research themselves but just regurgitate what they have read somewhere .

Original research is the part of the enjoyment of owning an old classic bike but many older members who have owned countless xs650's over many years will doubtless have forgotten the excitement and curiosity that comes with your first classic xs650.

Thank you for your polite and helpful reply. Good luck with your xs650 whatever the model turns out to be.:thumbsup::laugh:

Looks like this is now peanut's ID thread, which is fine I think, the OP seems to be satisfied we have ID'd his bike. peanut I didn't find any pics of your bike or an ID my bike thread? Throw a pic up here?
The thing on model ID is that it only matters (much) if you are trying to maintain stock appearance. After that the biggest difference is a slight variation in the location of the top rear shock mount. That is well documented with dimensioned factory frame drawings here on the site.
We (former) provincials tend to think the world starts and stops at the shores of North America sort of forgetting that the rest of the world often got different models than those that arrived here. Adding to the fun is the amount of US market bikes that get exported due to differences in used bike prices across the world.

650 skull is working on a Model ID thread over in the forum that must not be mentioned.

I was going to post the links to a lot of the sites and clubs i got my material from to come to the researched conclusion of my findings that i have been giving to you.

Was is the operative word.

God luck with your original research

I don't know why you chose to critisise my post in the first place skull? it wasn't addressed to you nor was it addressed to 5twins or the general membership.! Why did you and 5twins feel the need to stick your noses in anyway ?

I addressed my question specifically to nate !:banghead:

To be honest although you are extremely knowledgable and very helpful I find you rather volatile and inconsistant with your 'attitude' to people on here so if it is all the same to you... I'd just as soon manage in future without your advice if it means I have to take the crap with it.:thumbsup:

To be honest the recent unpleasant experiences I have had with you and 5twins in this and some of my other posts have left me with an ambivalence about posting on this forum. Between the two of you and a couple of other arrogant sobs ,you'll end up driving me and other new members away.:(

Looks like this is now peanut's ID thread, which is fine I think, the OP seems to be satisfied we have ID'd his bike. .

sorry you are quite right my apologies to the op as this altercation has hyjacked his thread which was not my intention.
If it hadn't been for the unsolicited offensive remarks directed at me by 5twins none of this would have happened.

Thank you for your advice ggary I have always found your advice very helpful and greatly appreciate your patience and consideration of newer members like myself who have much to learn including avoiding treading on anyones toes:wink2:

I am obstreperous and proud of it. Peanut; I wandered around your posts and have found no pics. Do you REALLY own an XS?

sorry ggary I have been preoccupied with trying to rebuild my pc as the internet connection keeps dropping out.

To be honest I don't think I'm going to be posting on xs650 much in future .
This thread has just about finished off any pleasure that I used to get logging on here every morning

Yes I have a 1979 model made in 78 registered 79
heres a pic of the original advert as I bought her in 2012 together with a more recent one.

Attachments

• xs650 garage.jpg
    xs650 garage.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 104
  • xs650 on decking resized.jpg
    xs650 on decking resized.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Back