Confused on new wire harness ?!

Ronnie_D

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello to all in this fantastic forum.

Reaching out for some help.
I am installing a new wire harness I bought from Mikes XS. It is for a 1977 XS650 with vin 447716237. So I bought the harness part # 24-6574. I emailed Mike to verify this correct and he said it was.
I have 1 question now that things are not going so well on connecting it up. This bike is a Canadian version and I have the Canadian wire diagram from this site, also the 77 wire diagram for the US version. I am thinking that the Canadian switches and other parts don't correspond to the the harness I have. I don't have a ch brown plug on the harness in the headlight and I also have a blue wire coming from the harness into the headlight but nothing to plug it into.

Also I have 12.4 volts running in the black wires? I thought black was always ground?
I don't have the engine in yet so that is not hooked up to the harness, should I still be able to connect the wires and battery to see if all the lights and stuff work without the engine plugged in?

I stripped this bike down to bare frame and painted it. Then reassembled it so I know all the stuff in the battery box and area is plugged in correctly.

your input would be greatly appreciated,
cheers,
Ron in Calgary.

20170428_183404.jpg

20170428_183413.jpg

Yes black should be ground have you grounded the handlebars yet? The dark green for the RH turn signals is easy to confuse with the blacks
The blue should be the taillight. easy to check. Yes I think you should be able to check most things without the engine wired in.

77_xs650d-png.22982

Yes black should be ground have you grounded the handlebars yet? The dark green for the RH turn signals is easy to confuse with the blacks
The blue should be the taillight. easy to check. Yes I think you should be able to check most things without the engine wired in.

Thanks gggGary I like your presence with the Addams Family theme...lol.

I did not ground the handle bars, what is a good way to do that?

I will check for dark green wires to black, this may be the voltage causing the black grounds to have power.

cheers,
Ron.

Last edited:
Small thin...........In 77 on the US 77D they had a brake lining warning light. This was disconnected part way through the production year. Not sure about non US models but if you still have the wires going to the rear hub then your original bike wiring would have that. Later 77D's Yamaha just cut off the bracket on the rear hub for the wiring and plugged the hole.

Last edited:
I believe on 77's the handle bar is grounded through a black wire to the LH control switch ie that control needs to be firmly screwed together on the handlebar, no paint on handlebar, the ground goes via the bars to the throttle side switches also, which provides the ground for the starter button.

I have got it almost all connected. It was the dark green booger wire that I connected to the black wires that was the culprit, thank you gggGary!
Also once I ran a make do ground from the bars to the frame, I had a horn and other lights. I will check the ground in the switch tomorrow and make sure the 2 switch grounds are working together.

I have the signal lights to setup tomorrow. I am brain dead now....lol

thank you gggGary and 650Skull for your support !
Ron.

Last edited:
Back