TCI pickup coil to GN250 igniter wiring diagram, 1976 XS650C

Wilsonsk

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I’m swapping the stator and rotor from my 1981 donor motor to my 1976 bike. I’m keeping the type B charging system, I’ve upgraded to VR115 and new 3 phase rectifier. I have the GN250 igniter, new Honda coil. Can someone provide a wiring diagram for the GN250 igniter and the TCI pickup coil? I don’t have the 6 pin plug from the 81 bike, just the pickup coil harness with the 3 pin plug. I have found the diagram for the adapter that uses the six pin harness, just not one that shows the wiring for just the pickup coil and igniter. My points work fine, but I have this stuff, I can install it and leave the points system as well.

Don't recall the colors off the top of my head, but you need the common and retard wires for the Gonzo. An easy way to tell is set your meter to the MV scale (millivolts), then run a small magnet across the retard side of it.... the retard coil is the one on the left as it's properly mounted. You'll see a jump in Mv's when you have the right wires. The Black or black/White is the common. Hook one meter lead to that and try the other two in turn. Whichever gives you the jump is the other one you want.

You have the 6 pin diagram, so that'll tell you where to plug them in.

Last edited:
On the diagram I see 3 “trigger” connections, 1 to B, 3 to D and 6 to A, but we are only supposed to use the retard coil, that should only be 2 connections, shouldn’t it? I just have the 3 pin from the trigger, I’ll pull power from the red/white that feeds the coils now, and ground of course.
IMG_0236.png

1 to B is the "coil" trigger... the ignition coil. 12v goes to one side of the coil, the other side goes to the box to trigger or "fire" the coil. Got nothing to do with the three wire crank trigger you were wanting info on.
3 to D and 6 to A are the ones you're concerned with.

1 to B is the "coil" trigger... the ignition coil. 12v goes to one side of the coil, the other side goes to the box to trigger or "fire" the coil. Got nothing to do with the three wire crank trigger you were wanting info on.
3 to D and 6 to A are the ones you're concerned with.
Ahhh…. Got it!,, Thank you!!!!

I know the diagram reads weird. One "trigger" is a noun, the other a verb.... ;)

I bought some six pin dis-connect blocks from Halfords (Bloody rip off @ $6.69 each!).

Thanks Adam! I had found your thread before whiles scouring for information. I need to make a harness for mine as it is a pre-TCI bike. I need a plug that will plug into the GN250 igniter, I can order the one you did from Halfords in the UK, but there must be one here in the states, if I get the MikesXS plug below, will that plug into the gn250 box? Or is there another source?
IMG_0241.png

I got my rotor changed over to the 1981 rotor, complete with TCI pickup. I don't have the plugs yet to make the harness for the GN250 igniter, more to come on that. I think I had that left cover on and off 47 times, 2 or 3 times, something was wonky with the clutch rod, the ball is staked in and is there, but maybe the rod was not in the hole, the issue was, once tightened down, the clutch was disengaged, the lever worked and felt normal, but clutch was disengaged, I had been careful to get the rotation the same on the arm/helix, I transferred both from my 1976 engine cover, I also made sure that the cable was fully into the angled ferrule thing that goes into the cover. I finally took the lever off at the bar so that was completely free, put the cover on, replaced the lever and everything is fine now, adjustment is the same, no idea what was going on but it seems to be fixed. The other 44 times was because I forgot to tighten the sprocket nut (I went back to 17 tooth front, from 16), then I forgot to torque it, then I forgot to bend the washer over it, then I forgot the return spring on the clutch arm, etc. The alternator is charging. I'll get out and ride it some later today.

I finally got the correct plugs (Vintage sent the wrong ones first, took care of it quickly though.), wire to build a harness, GN250 module, coil, everything I need. I'm planning in leaving the points/coils installed for now, i'll unplug the power to the old coils and run power to the module from there. I'm looking at mounting the coil under the seat and I may utilize the tool box for the module (I carry more tools than fit in that box). I need to build my harness and mount the module and coil.

I finally got the correct plugs (Vintage sent the wrong ones first, took care of it quickly though.), wire to build a harness, GN250 module, coil, everything I need. I'm planning in leaving the points/coils installed for now, i'll unplug the power to the old coils and run power to the module from there. I'm looking at mounting the coil under the seat and I may utilize the tool box for the module (I carry more tools than fit in that box). I need to build my harness and mount the module and coil.
Do you have an '80 or newer rotor with the trigger magnet?
Edit: Never mind, I went back and reread the first comment.

Back