continue restoration or sell?

tbroadwater

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I need help and advice please....I went ahead and bought this beast (1971 xs1b 650)over 6 months and finally I am able to take it out safely. (When I bought it it had bald tires, no brakes, no power to speed or tach and a host of other issues....and some how I took it for a test drive!!)

I am now at the point, where it is where I want mechanically and its safe, clean and fully functional, but i want to move onto an other project and want to see what you all think about selling it "as is" or getting it repainted and restored to orginal condtion.

And if i did that, what would I serve to make selling as is vs. selling it restored.

Any advice would be great at this point...I am worried about putting more funds into restoring to but it the end I wont be able to make it back...Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• bike2.jpg
    bike2.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 221
Here are everything that I had done over the last 6 months using old store stock for the most part:

clean and jetted carbs
new tires
new brakes
new battery
all cabling replaced
new seat
replaced turn signals
new headlight bulb
new ignition
pamco electronic ignition system added
new gaskets to fix oil leak
new fuel lines/filers
new air filters
replaced tachometer and speedometer

so I am at the line of not sure if I want to find the emblems I need, put the original shocks and handlebars back in and repaint it to match the original..

In my experience, dumping money into projects has not proven to be a return investment. Seems that most buyers buy the cheaper bike then 'figure the rest out later'.

Monetarily, where are you in the bike? How much did you pay for it and what have you put in it to date? What do you think it will bring in your area? Would it bring enough more, if finished, to cover your costs (including a fair labor rate)? The question should answer itself. These things are a labor of love and usually much of the money spent is largely gone in my experience.

roy

My 2 cents is leave restorations to those who want to keep it when they are done. A restoration should be a labor of love, and often like love, you end up paying for the privilege. It's hard to call from one small pic but you would have to spend some serious money on a restoration, new paint, new chevrons for the side covers, new exhaust, new spokes, all 4 turn signals and no doubt a bunch of other stuff. Sad truth is highest value is parted out but i hope you won't go that way. Don't know the miles or much else.... I would say 1,000 to 1500 as it sits.

thanks for getting back to me with all of your feedback guys, much appreciated.

If you click on the thumbnail it shows a much larger image

To give you a breakdown: I was looking for something I could take out on weekends and replace my car for going to and from work and I was drawn to the 70's yamaha and the time period (I was a kid then and remember my grandfather letting us ride his)
but I did not do enough research before buying the bike I did.

I paid the guy 1400.00 and I had no experience with kick start and I knew it needed brakes, tires and electronics.

I enjoy fixing things up, seeing and feeling the change of restoring something old so I started with the obvious things, working with a neighbor and we took care of everything until we hit the ignition system.
400.00 in parts at that point I would say.

I took to the only shop willing to get the remaining issues fixed (pamco wiring) and 400.00 later it was inspected and functional.

So, I am 2200.00 in and from my calculations 500.00 more is needed for paint and another 300.00 to bring the handlebars, shocks and emblems to stock setup.

I would be at 3000.00 at that point. Part of me feels like I am doing the bike a disservice not to restore the original paint.

In the end I just want a clean, simple reliable bike I can take back and forth as needed...so that is what I would get if I sell this one.
I am interesting in restoring in the future but after gettingn something reliable I can use for everyday use. (I am having a tough time getting the bike to reliably kick over and I walk it back every few times i take it out)

thank you again for all your help.

Attachments

• bike2.jpg
    bike2.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 160
Good luck with the XS. I'd highly reccomend an SV650 for your daily riding. Mine has 71,000 miles on it and is as reliable as an axe.

I think either way you will be taking a loss on the project. I would stop where you are and sell it. +1 for Suzuki SV though, great bikes.

If you click on the thumbnail it shows a much larger image
meh, we're oldskool here.. got a magnifying glass sittin on the desk for this kind of stuff:wink2:

I was drawn to the 70's yamaha and the time period (I was a kid then and remember my grandfather letting us ride his)
but I did not do enough research before buying the bike I did.
sounds like you have some slight sentimental value w/ this era, as do I, so maybe it's worth keeping and ironing out the mechanical issues? there's a wealth of knowledge hidden in this website that will guide you through repairs. a newer bike will eventually also need repairs/refurbishments and will be far more difficult (and costly) to work on.

So, I am 2200.00 in
I'm more than double that into mine & I know that how it sits at the moment it's worth about as much as a used condom. Having said that, I still enjoy working on it and am learning as I go.

man, thats still a good lookin machine. i would make it mechanically good, and just ride er. Be a fun Daily.

New harness and fuse box, Solid state VR, new rectifier, maybe throw on a linked set of bs-34's or 38's (freshly rebuilt with new throttle shaft seals of course) make sure suspension/brakes and steering is up to snuff and just ride it, keep all the stocker oem parts in a box for when the real resto time begins.

i really enjoy the patina and look of that bike. Looks like it could be a nice loved machine.

The real point is how you plan to use the bike. Old bikes (any brand) always need something. If you are looking for a daily rider then this may not be what you need.

Ouch on the money sunk so far. But as we all know that doesn't matter, it's worth what it's worth. I'm with CDNTX650 and Turn Left. finish getting her mechanically reliable. With a Pamco it should be a first, second kick starter every time. Once you get the nigglers ironed out and go a week without issues, all the pain will be forgotten and you'll never want to sell.
Perhaps you should check the the tech section, read through the it's new to me. We all have been through the fix what I find broken method of working on a motorcycle. BUT if you have the time and patience the go through everything til it's ready to be ridden method is far more satisfactory and will not wear out your shoe leather as often. Good luck and don't be afraid to seek advice here on what's still ailing the old girl.

Thanks again guys, I am going to spend the next week or so getting a feel for riding her on a regular basis...I am not ready to give up this soon and ironing out some of the nick picky issues may be all it takes to hold off on selling.

And I did some research into the SV650 and I may be looking at getting a daily rider and looking at my XS as a long term project...

I will be sure to keep you all updated this week. And I wish to thank Gary, CDN, turn left and everyone else you taking time out to give me some advice.

It is a great looking scoot.
In my opinion these bikes are a labor of love, and love has no price. With a basic set of tools and the knowledge on this forum there is never a need to take your bike to a shop unless you're having the jugs bored or some other major metal machining done. I pride myself on the fact that I do all my wrenching...a money saver.
I see that you have the newer sight glass clutch cover on. Do the engine numbers match the titled frame numbers?

I can agree with the above comments above. It is a labor of love but you have to be able to understand and do almost everything yourself. It's hard enough to bring you 2011 bike into a shop and have them do a good job let alone a bike thats 40 years old. The bike is older than the mechanics. It's looks like the bike is in pretty good shape but I can tell that your looking at another $2,000-$3,000 to get it back to original. Don't do it if your looking to get a return. I did see a 72 on e-bay go for $8,200 but that is the exception. If my 72 sold for that, after expenses my labor rate would be say .01 per hour. Good point about the engine, if they don,t match stop.

I've got almost $4000 into mine and it's still a pile of junk. I'm just chalking it up to being schooled. (and I always pay too much for everything)

I have a rock crawler that I sunk $30k into and it's not even worth $15k right now.

I see that you have the newer sight glass clutch cover on. Do the engine numbers match the titled frame numbers?

Check to see if all the tappet covers have 3 bolts holding them on, If the left hand front has the 4 bolt tappet-cover then the motor is not matched to that frame.

Back