Converting 16"spoked wheels to 18"

voodoocld

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I've got a 1981 650 with a 16" spokes drum rear wheel. I want an 18" rear with drum.
Does anyone know if I can just get an 18" rim and some 18" spokes for drum brakes from mixes xs, and reuse my drum?
Also will this create clearance issues with my swingarm?

First post here, long time motorcycle fan. Have an xs400 and Honda 919 as well.

Thanks!

I know that with the older 18" wheels on the standards it's easiest to change the whole swing arm and wheel to the special frame. But if your just relacing your hub from 16" to an 18" rim you should be fine? Anyone elses thoughts?

As long as your wheel is the standard 36 spoke and not that Heritage 48 spoke version, you can do the swap. Swingarm change is only needed when doing disc to drum or vice versa. Your swingarm is the same as the older ones with drum brakes. You could also just swap in a whole older 18" drum wheel.

Awesome, that's what I wanted to hear. I'm going to do a pretty full restore/cafe build and want shiny new spokes, and black wheels . So figure I might as well just find an old rim and paint it with the hub, then lace some shiny new spokes in it.

But as long as I have 36 Spoke wheels the drum brake will work with mikesxs 18" spokes?

Back