Converting earlier Stator to TCI

BarrieC

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Quick question Guys,
Looking to install the later Brush Holder - seems easiest way and reasonably easy to drill and shape.
However this does leave one of the wires slightly short - before I start tugging on wires, has anyone had success pulling slack past the windings on the brush wires?
My other idea, was to run new wires to the brushes on the outside of the stator - same as the pick-up wires, can anyone see an issue with that?

On the good side, I now have a fully working engine, in frame, with brakes etc - maybe, just maybe, I get i ride this summer!

Thanks

Barrie

I think a bigger issue may be mounting the TCI ignition pick-up exactly where it needs to be. Get that wrong and the timing will be off. I think the easiest solution is to just find a later TCI stator.

Not in the UK 5twins, parts are not so easily available, I think the people converting to PMA are hanging on to the spares and you have the issue of IF the windings are any good, Should not be a problem positioning the TCI pick-ups thanks to the Gonzo project ;)
I have to go back to my original question, please

Attachments

• IMG_1812.PNG
    IMG_1812.PNG
    224.5 KB · Views: 41
I have to go back to my original question, please
I've not pulled extra wire for the Type A brush set-up, all that's required is to isolate the old (Type B) grounded brush to now carry 12+ by using nylon screws. So the black brush wire is now gonna carry switched power and the green brush wire will carry regulated ground from the regulator
Just replace the metal screws with nylon in the locations marked in blue below
1686917031636.jpeg

The top brush wire (brown on TCI type A) doesn't need to be routed like this
1686917185382.jpeg

And....the location of the pick-up mounting screw (that agrees with Jim's diagram, just different method)
1686917911792.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks Guys, main reason for fitting the later brush holder, is all I have on my good stator is a pair of wires - with original ring terminals attached :(
Good call with the screw length!

Back