Correct nut identification

suntrakr

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Newbie question but just so I'm 100% accurate as I put the clutch back in, seal her back up and want to avoid over tightening any components. The nut in the picture, should be tightened to 65 ft-lbs? As per torque settings from the manuals?

clutch-image.jpg

Since you don't show the year of your engine/bike in your signature line, gonna have to take a kind of guess. Looks like you have the latest model clutch, so here's a snippet from the XS650G service manual, showing the primary gear nut torque to be 65 ft-lbs.
XS650G-TorqueSpecsEngine.jpg

For reference, here's an amalgam/snippet from the early service manual.
XS1-XS2-TX650-PrimaryGear.jpg

Just a note on clutch assembly in case you're not familiar with it. The pressure plate on top of the clutch plate stack needs to be installed a certain way, aligned correctly, or the clutch will not function properly. There is an alignment dot stamped on one of the teeth of the inner basket, visible in your photo on the tooth located at about the 5 o'clock position. That dot needs to show through the small hole in the pressure plate like so .....

PressurePlateAlignment.jpg

Thanks 5twins. Good info. I'd picked up on this little bit of info earlier. Apparently the clutch basket is balanced as a unit and this ensures it all goes back together in "as balanced" spec. Again, appreciate the headsup.

Back