Correlation between mileage and parts wear?

TeeCat

One-Mik Wonder
Reaction score
Hello, friends...

I was thinking last evening, as I put my TX away after a little local run of just under an hour, that when I got her, she had just a touch over 18,000 miles on what is almost certainly the original instrument (as is the tach). That was in August '07 when I got her as a basically intact non-runner that I thought would be a good platform for the quite clean mild cafe-roadster that she has become since. But in the time I have had her, the miles I have ridden have been almost exclusively "diagnostic" in nature, and it's only recently that I have begun to be consistently and predictably pleased with the way she's running. I'm still under 19,000 miles... I'd have to look to be sure how much.

One thing that I'm going to be keeping an eye (ear) on is the occasionally discussed "Pete Jackson gear drive" sound that I seem to have. It's not obtrusive at this point, but it's there. I'm going to re-check my cam chain tensioner setting hot, but this got me to wondering:

- What constitutes low, mid, and/or high mileage for a 70's era motorcycle?

- At what sort of mileage range does one start getting realistically concerned about the health of "consumable" parts like bearings and cam chain guides?

- Among you who have had issues with bearing and/or chain guide longevity, what sort of mileage had your bike seen at that time?

I'm just trying to sort a reasonable correlation between consumable parts wear and mileage, while being mindful that "results may vary" because conditions and riders do. I have been running a new side strainer (I have a billet enclosure) and sump strainer since last year, incidentally. When I installed the new sump strainer, I didn't notice any obvious plastic or metal, and this past Saturday's oil change (I change the oil VERY frequently!) saw no apparent sludge or metal on the drain plugs/magnets. My plan now is to try to get some fun miles on the bike and watch her.

Cheers all!

TC

Re. 70's era bikes, you can't generalize. Re. the Yam 650, much depends on the kind of use and maintenance the machine has had. One pro wrench I know has had his XS650 since it was new, and it's still his daily rider. The machine gets over 60K miles between top end jobs, the cases have never been split, and God only knows how many miles are on the crank and tranny. Other motors are toast at 20K due to abuse.

griz, thanks for this. That bike of your mate's is apparently well loved!

It's hard to tell without a good reliable history, of course, what sort of treatment a bike has received, especially if there are no obvious signs of abuse. Neglect is not all that obvious either, I suppose... it's more than likely insidious. But I guess the bottom line is that it's hard to correlate parts consumption directly with mileage because there are so many other variables.

TC

Hey TeeCat,
In my opinion,at under 19.000 miles you have nothing to worry about as far as any major problems with your bike.These engines are pretty tough!
Keep an eye on your strainers like you have been.That is a pretty accurate way of finding any looming cam chain guide problems.

You, like most of us here,ride with 2 eyes on the road,and 2 ears listening to the engine.Here is my advice.

Don't make every ride a diagnostic ride.I more than anyone am guilty of that,but it's the "screw-turner" in me,and that is my nature.I think "I can always make it better".

Just ride,and enjoy the ride,tell your self to turn off the mechanical side of your brain.
I have learned this and now have more pleasureable rides.

You have worked hard on your bike,be proud of yourself and the bike,but do enjoy it TeeCat.

It's hard to generalize because most of these old bikes have been taken apart during its lifespan. To me, it's just a number, nothing else, I treat it as and old pile of parts that can break down at any given minute, so I listen and feel, watch oil consumption etc.

Hi, Skip!

Don't make every ride a diagnostic ride.I more than anyone am guilty of that,but it's the "screw-turner" in me,and that is my nature.I think "I can always make it better".

Just ride,and enjoy the ride,tell your self to turn off the mechanical side of your brain.
I have learned this and now have more pleasureable rides.

You have worked hard on your bike,be proud of yourself and the bike,but do enjoy it TeeCat.

Boy, it's good to hear that occasionally. It's also good to hear that someone else has to remind themselves periodically to modulate that side of their brain and just enjoy a bit. :) Last night's little local jaunt was actually more fun than diagnostic! I am a creature of habit, and I think I am finally getting to learn this bike's little habits/preferences too. For instance... from cold, she likes one or two cold kicks to prime, and starts on the first hot one. She likes about a half to three-quarters turn in on the idle speed screw (coming off the choke) til she gets to op temp, then back about the same. She likes to be rolling at least a little when I'm dropping into first after decelerating. I tend to look for consistency and patterns in the bike's behavior because it makes me more comfortable (while riding) having that information, and I'll ultimately be having more fun as I get used to what the bike likes.

Honestly, my comfort factor seems to have increased markedly with this single carb conversion. Every aspect of the bike's fuel delivery seems to be more consistent and predictable. I think that conversion may have been some of the best dollars and hours I have spent on this bike.

And lassen, that's a pretty smart approach, I think. In my case, I need to keep the worry wart in me under control, though, or he'll be running the show! :)

TC

I once had a good mechanic say to me it's not mileage that kills cars, but "jerking them around." Kind of obvious, but bears repeating. Of course he wasn't talking about the Vega.

I once had a good mechanic say to me it's not mileage that kills cars, but "jerking them around." Kind of obvious, but bears repeating. Of course he wasn't talking about the Vega.

I think it'd be hard to argue with that mechanic on that point! But even the infamous Vega found a niche, I suppose... among those who liked to dump big blocks in them and go to the strip... :p

TC

The more I poke around mine the more I see what I recognize as little signs of good engineers being given free reign. No so Vega-like.

Due to their age, you can pretty much figure the front cam chain guide is going to need replacing. Due to lack of care and adjustments, you can also figure the cam chain needs replacing as well. It's foolish and false economy not to replace both when you go into the top end. Watch your timing plate adjustment slot. When you start running out of adjustment, that's a sign the chain is all stretched out.

Watch your timing plate adjustment slot. When you start running out of adjustment, that's a sign the chain is all stretched out.
twins, that's good to know; I guess the same applies to the plate on a PAMCO? I set my timing once when I installed it, and I should check it again, but the bike has been cooperating so well the past two little jaunts that I'm almost afraid to touch anything. :)

Speaking of cooperating.. I just ordered her some little bits; fresh chromed steel shift and kick lever (the originals are sort of revealing their age), fork gators, some other maintenance-related stuff...

If I ever have to get into the top end, I'll be doing some preemptive replacing, you can bet. Really hope to get through at least this season, though.

TC

TeeCat;

I agree with Skip's post. These bikes are tough, well designed machines. Just do regular maintenance (which is more than most of these bikes ever got) and get out and ride the countryside. Its not good for these bikes to sit too long................they work best with regular exercise..................much like us humans:D

TeeCat;

I agree with Skip's post. These bikes are tough, well designed machines. Just do regular maintenance (which is more than most of these bikes ever got) and get out and ride the countryside. Its not good for these bikes to sit too long................they work best with regular exercise..................much like us humans:D

RG, the possibility of doing just that with some welcome regularity is at hand, thanks to you and others, many of whom are long-standing, familiar faces around here and the former 650rider.com. :) Heck, I can't even so much as look at my voltage gauge - indicating that my charging system is doing just that - without thinking of my very patient buddy RG. :)

She's been sitting/idling less and less. And so have I... there're 25 pounds less of me for her to carry around since January...

TC

I know this is an old Thread but it has a good start, and I can add a little info. The highest I have gotten an XS 650 was 50k, I sold it dirt cheap to a guy who was pretty broke asking $200.00 and taking $175.00 in 1984 or 1985. The bike was a 1976, she was burning some oil but really not bad at all. To tell you the truth it started burning oil from between 30 and 36K. The way it progressed from using virtually none in 1000 miles at 29k, to 1/2 pint at 33k about a pint at 38K finally to about a full pint and 1/2 at 40K every1000 miles. The funny thing was It wasn't a smoker and the only time there was any was when you got on it, there was a slight bit of grey from the 2 in 1 header. Mostly you could smell it more than see it smoke, the oil usage curve actually started slowing down from 45k to 55K..
My guess was because when a little bit of oil was getting by the rings it was adding more lubrication and actually slowing wear. Also motor oils were beginning to get a lot better back then. The guy rode the bike every day for 2 more years until the Snow started anywhere from Oct 29th to mid November when it got really KKKOLD, then it started burning the main fuse and stranding him. That is when the fool by-passed the fuse to get home using some metal foil. Then he forgot to remove it and trace the small or intermittent short that was causing it. He smoked the wire harness about a week later. He said the bike had 55 or 58 K, he couldn't remember. It was never torn down and it ended up at Harris Bro's cycle Salvage in Sioux city Iowa. They gave him $25.00 for it and parted it out. When I owned it she ALWAYS started 1st kick warm and 2 kicks Cold sometimes even one kick cold. She was a GREAT bike! The certainly got better between the Gold 1971??? I had that really was kind of Dodgy running, especially low end torque.
All of you that have worked on them know it takes just a bit of knack at tuning them to run correctly. I am pretty sure that if you find a nice bike with around 10,000 miles or under and you start using a good Synthetic (not marked fuel saving) you could match my mark. BTW I have always been
easy on Motorcycles, I don't get on them very often at all. BTW he did need to replace the clutch plates.
When you look at the Suzuki C50 (800's) high mileage on them is 70-80K and those are Water cooled.
The 1975 Yamaha XS650B will ALWAYS hold a Special place in my heart, It is the one in my Avitar and is hardly broken in at 11K I have had great luck with the 2 of them I have had, also had the Gold 71, a couple 73's (God I loved that Saphire Blue!) 2/ 76's the 2nd always had a slight miss but had been wrecked.
Be well My friends...
Larry Duane

Back