Could be a problem with Spark?

jservant

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 83xs650 Heritage Special that I have been working on for a couple of months now and did a top end rebuild on it. I rebuilt the carbs, the timing is at TDC, the floats are set to specs and I have spark, but weak spark on the left side. Would that prevent the bike from starting? Spark on the right side seems good. I can't figure out why it won't start. Could it be weak coils? I havent done a Compression Test, Don't have a tester, but trying to figure out the starting Problem. The electric starter seems to drain the battery pretty quickly, even though the battery is band new. Any suggestion would be very helpfull. The Carbs aren't flooding like they were when I bought the bike and It seems to be getting plenty of fuel, (new petcock) and fuel Lines.:wtf:

Have you set the valve clearances? Did you lap the valves?

Since you did a re-build, a compression test shouldn't be needed, but you never know. Could be a good idea to borrow or buy a tester.

Are you confident the camchain timing marks were lined up correctly?

Did you set the float levels...............very important.

Since you have a TCI the ignition timing should be correct.

Hard starting can be due to the blockage of the choke circuit fuel supply. There is a very tiny jet that may be plugged up.................see the picture. Probe with a fine wire ................should see light from either direction.

Attachments

• Float Bowl mod1.JPG
    Float Bowl mod1.JPG
    231.6 KB · Views: 68
Thanks my wife and I have her running!!!!!!!! We didnt have the airboxes on and the dumb thing would not start without them but she sounds SWEET!!!!!!!!! Im so happy all our work paid off Thanks to everyone here to

Back