Could This Be Saved?

View attachment 157636
You can use it to GLUE custom filler necks on gas tanks!
View attachment 157635
Was wondering why this tank on madness when I got her had some "bubbles" starting.

I was thinking of trying some JB Weld. I once used JB Weld to seal a hole in the bottom of the gas tank on a '74 Ford van. It held for years and years. Even after I sold it to my younger brother he never had a leak.

I used JB Weld to repair a leaking petcock several years ago and it's still good. One of the cross-drilled plugs was leaking. I applied it on the inside.

On that note, I've considered using JB Weld lightly on brass floats along the factory soldered rim ? Can't see why that couldn't save a brass float..

I used JB Weld on a plastic tank years ago on the petcock threads. That failed but not because of the JB Weld leaking. The expansion and movement of the plastic tank because of temperature fluctuations along with 2 stroke vibs just worked too hard against success in that case.

It seems to hold up just fine on our oil filter repairs. Oil and gas are both petroleum products.

Last edited:
I’m not making this up. If you choose to ignore me on this, at least consider the consequences of the eventual failure. It won’t happen overnight, but JB Weld will eventually fail from exposure to fuel.

Everything fails eventually... That said, should I use JB Weld I'll use SteelStick or WaterWeld as recommended: https://www.jbweld.com/faqs

20200107_154031.jpg

"to JB or not to JB" , that is a question
:)

Back