crank bearings

gravelman

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
hi guys joe here.i just tore down xs2 motor and found one bad crank bearing drive side ball type.Any suggestions on finding one .Iknow mikes has them made in tiwhan .any netter stuff around thanks joe

speed and sports has them there expensive but they are oem 123 bux .actually its not that much if ur off shore one grenades i will bite the bullit for the piece of mind

Nice find - $120 is a lot but I can appreciate the peace of mind it might provide. I already have the MikesXS bearings in hand (both outside crank bearings - the middle two are good on the rephased crank I had made) but the bearings from the donor motor were unknown and feel rough in spots.

The MikesXS bearings feel perfectly smooth. The left side roller bearing is stamped with the various numbers, whereas the one-off right side large bearing is plain with no markings. It is packaged in an RCC box with the numbering on the box itself.

One other thing people who are doing this for the first time on a rephased crank should note is there are washers behind each bearing (still available from Yamaha for $5 each) and the large right side bearing does NOT come with the ring that goes around it to lock it into place in the case. That part is no longer available from Yamaha.

So if you're like me and building a new engine from bits and pieces, make sure you have those bits on hand from the donor engine or wherever.

I've read Hugh's posts elsewhere talking about MikesXS being the only place on the planet to get them from - those posts were in March 2011 so I doubt much has changed.

There does appear to be some stock of the original OEM bearings, but they'd be at least 20 years old I suppose, so hard to say what's better. A NOS 20 year old OEM bearing or a brand new Taiwan unit.

The Taiwan RCC bearing I have in my hand feels perfect - absolutely glass smooth rotation and no imperfections on the races. The bearing I pulled from my donor engine has a large 'spot' on the inner race and catches periodically when rotating.

I'm putting my money on the new Taiwan unit.

OEM bearings are still available from a few select dealers. I prefer not to use the Taiwanese bearings, the needles are not as wide as OEM. If they existing bearings are in good shape, I try to reuse them. They can take a major beating and still survive. So long as there is no rust, pitting, binding, etc.. then you are usually good to go

I hate when these things get stuck in my head. It will always be a question in the back of my helmet if I use the Taiwan bearings so I'm sourcing OEM's.

Good news is I got lucky on the 'drive' end large ball bearing. There was one on eBay as a Buy it Now for $40. Part number 93306-30601-00 which was superseded by the 93306-30604-00 part currently referenced as the correct bearing. Coming in the original Koyo box and everything. For $45 shipped I'll have a look at it and am returning the Taiwan bearing (thankfully buying $1000's of MikesXS parts over the past few years has garnered me some customer service from them).

I'm also searching for the needle bearing which seems to be in ready supply at $110 or so. $30 more than the Taiwan version which seems like a no brainer.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&vxp=mtr&item=170783659793

And just for information purposes, the roller bearing is still available from Yamaha. $104 at my local dealer in Canada. So will be ordering that one as well.

Back to MikesXS for the RCC Taiwan bearings.

I bought 3 bearings from Mikes XS over a year ago... unless Taiwan moved to Japan these boxes are legit. The light blue one is an OEM from Speed and Sport.. 150 shipped to my door.

Attachments

• crankbearings.jpg
    crankbearings.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 139
Well things have changed. I just shipped the MikesXS bearings back - made in Taiwan, RCC brand boxes. Don't have a pic but even on the MikesXS site they indicate the bearings are Taiwanese.

There are still some original Koyo OEM bearings floating around out there and I'm guessing 3 years ago Mike Lalonde bought a bunch up and was selling them. Then he ran low and got RCC to start making them.

The Yamaha OEM 93306-30604 bearing is long discontinued.

The other bearings on the crank are still being made. When I ordered mine from XS650Direct (Canadian arm of MikesXS) I thought I was going to get a Japanese OEM bearing for this one as the product description says made in Japan etc. with no mention of RCC or Taiwan. However I got a Taiwan RCC bearing. So back it went and for $20 more I ordered from my local Yamaha dealer.

Thankfully I got my Koyo OEM 30604 for $45 shipped on eBay vs $80 on XS650Direct so I more than made up the difference. For the same or less $ I got Yamaha OEM Japanese bearings. Still $150 for 2 bearings but that's about the least expensive thing I've done on this engine so far.

when I rebuilt my crank 2 years ago mikes was out of bearings,aparenly had a bit trouble finding a new suplier,I got real lucky the loucal Yam dealer had the last right bearing in Aus in stock & got me the other 3 in 48hrs at about same prices as mikes,often wondered how they asemble a bearing at factory ???? ome v Taiwan? still alot of 650's running org.bearings

I think the fact that so many XS650's are still running on the original Japanese bulletproof bearings is one of many reasons there is a preference to run Japanese bearings over the Taiwanese versions.

Like I say, the RCC bearings I got from MikesXS sure looked and felt good, but given the option at the same or similar price point, I'd choose Yamaha OEM bearings.

Man, this thing is fighting me every inch of the way. Smelting is sounding good these days.

Put the crank in the freezer overnight in prep to slide the new crank bearings on. Heated them up in the oven to 250 or so and the big bearing popped on no problem.

But the other side, the 1 of 3 roller bearings was another matter. It fought me. So I hastily cut a section of PVC pipe to allow me to evenly drive it home with gentle hits with a rubber mallet. No whaling on the thing here with steel pipes and sledge hammers.

That moved things along, but due to haste and impatience, the size of the pipe wasn't perfect for the inner race and it ended up hitting once or twice on the carrier for the rollers. It sort of 'popped' off the inner race a bit at one point but snapped back into position. The bearing is on evenly, albeit not all the way seated. Going to have to press it on at a friend's shop.

The outer race slides on nicely and turns perfectly smoothly so I don't think I've done any damage. Wouldn't mind any opinion on the matter. Would like to think I haven't pooched a $100 OEM Yamaha bearing, but if I have, at this point I'll go ahead and order up another one.

Any experts feel like commenting? Trust me I'm happy to be lectured on the value of patience and using the right tools for the job, but I'm more interested in opinion on the bearing itself, which I know is difficult without eyes on.

Like I say, the outer race slips on nicely and turns perfectly smoothly.

The bearing should be fine - if it turns smoothly then its fine. I use a heat gun on all crank bearings during assembly - quick & easy.

Back