Crankshaft woodruff key.

yorkshireracer

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Just rebuilding my xs (1980) and I need a new woodruff key, the one that locates the generator on the crank.
Apparently this isn't available from Yamaha now but i'm assuming that another bike/model would fit. Any ideas ?
If all else fails, I'll have to make one.

you can run it with out the woodruff key its only purpose is to keep the timing marks in the right place the rotor will lock on to the taperd shaft no dramas,did you leave the key out side & it got blown away,yep I grew up in the windy city before I came to my sense's & moved to Queensland.any bearing shop will stock them but you will have to give them the right specs.Good luck & ride safe

the key in the link looks like the one for the oil pump. looks very small. and I dont recognize the other rectangle one.
I asked for one at a yama dealer, and they wanted only a couple bucks, but they would have to order it for five bucks. I asked what size it was and they said 4mm x5mm. I took my rotor to the hardware store, and poked around with 4x5's untill I found the right width. 2$.
I dont know what your resources are there, but thats what I did.

Yeah I would tramp off to a bearing house, fastener store, or industrial supply and find a "will fit". Or get close and then grind it to fit.

I lost one on my 81. If I remember right it was a 3/16 1/2 moon key from the hardware store that fit. It was to tall, to much stuck out of the crank. I just ground it down till I could slip the rotor over the key.
I don't remember the cost but wasn't much.
Leo

Back