Crash from Chicago (1982 XS650 Heritage)

Crashomon

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi everyone, crash here.

Been riding since 1980, and this is my second XS650 (the last one was pre-internet.. 1979 XS650)

I was the Service/Shop Manager at Redline Motorcycle Service in Skokie from 1985 to 1991 and then Banzai Motorsports in Libertyville 92-94. I got out of the powersports industry in 1994 and went back to college. There, I discovered the Internet/www and was hooked. Its been my career since 1996!

My business is here: http://www.chicagowebmanagement.com We manage websites (focusing on wordpress, zen cart and magento).

I've owned 15 bikes and am impressed with the quality of contributions on this site. Very informative stuff here.

So, you can say, I've been around a bit. :thumbsup:

Also have a 2005 SV650 with GSXR front end.

Looking forward to contributing where I can!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 225
Great looking bikes Crash! If you have some more pictures handy, we'd love to see them! I'm also in Chicago, but I'm still working on getting my XS on the road. In the meantime, I ride a 78 CB550K. I live very close to Skokie now.

Yes, my plans are to make no 'permanent' changes to bike, only using bolt on parts so that next owner can restore it back to stock. Superbike Handlebars, solid risers, fork brace, fork springs and longer (heavier duty) shocks will hold me this year.

Next year may be 18" rear wheel (maybe, depends on how it handles with new suspension).

No regrets on the mid-life career change at all: working with Motorcycles in Chicago meant I was laid off for a few months every winter and working on the Internet as a developer means I'm ALWAYS busy, so that's how I can afford my rock n roll lifestyle.

Here's some pix since y'all asked...

Attachments

• original-ad-photo-2.jpg
    original-ad-photo-2.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 211
  • original-ad-photo-3.jpg
    original-ad-photo-3.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 204
Yes, my plans are to make no 'permanent' changes to bike, only using bolt on parts so that next owner can restore it back to stock. Superbike Handlebars, solid risers, fork brace, fork springs and longer (heavier duty) shocks will hold me this year.
Next year may be 18" rear wheel (maybe, depends on how it handles with new suspension). - - -

Hi Crash,
think about swapping to a Standard gas tank, it's one gallon bigger and drops straight on.
Swap the wheels as a pair, the '75ish deep groove aluminum rim wire wheels look far nicer than the wheels on your bike.
I swapped my Heritage Special's artillery wheels for those wire wheels some years back.
(Swapped back to artillery wheels so I could run tubeless and not spend all the time and effort keeping the wire wheels cleaned and polished)
The XS650 is more nimble running a 110/90-18 but the 130/90-16 is better in a straight line.

Hey Fred, thanks for the heads up on the Standard Gas Tank swap idea... i'll definitely consider that. Since this isn't a show pony, I'm not worried about cleaning the spokes or rims. All my cars and bikes have been ridden hard and cleaned little. :)

Cheers

Back