Crimper question?

Ive used ratcheting crimpers before, but only on antenna connections- Never on wire.
I almost feel disconnected when using them.. Can't really tell how much pressure you have...

I use a set like the 2nd link- the channellocks. Mine are Kleins, got them at Home Depot for around $20- works great.

With those connectors, I'd use those little tabs as more as something to hold the insulation on the wire IN the connector & less for crimping to the wire...

I would solder the wires to the connector & bend those tabs over to hold the wire. You could use anything for that.

I don't use ratchet crimpers either for the same reason as hairyblackdude, but the crimpers for 24 bucks in the link to the block connectors you want to use will work fine. Be sure to crimp the open section closest to the terminal to the bare wire and the longer tabs at the end of the terminal away from the connector to the insulation, step up a size with your crimpers when you do this. Buy a few extra terminals and experiment before working on your harness. Because of where I am I get all my stuff from Vehicle Wiring Products in UK. The connections are high quality and don't require solder but I know some guys go the extra step and there is nothing wrong with that for sure.

The second link is a nice set of crimpers. I got a set just like them from Harbor Freight for $5 or $7.
Leo

Back