Cruiser

1911master

1911master
Reaction score
Ok, I know everyone builds Choppers, Bobbers, Cafe and Trackers out of the 650. And I do understand this is a medium size bike but what about ideas for something that will go the distance. Nice and low with a large gas tank good suspension. Just so I dont have to stop all the time and fill it up.

Give me your ideas.

It does all that in the stock form. The standard tanks held 3.9 gallons of fuel. If you are getting decent mileage of around 50 mpg that's in excess of 150 miles between fill ups. Plenty for most riders.
As far as suspension new rear shocks and a front fork tune up. works wonders.
Leo

Low, large tank, good suspension, all things XS650's are not. Low is not for older bikes without carving them up. The standard tank is about as large to me as would look good for the frame size, and tuned right it's good for nearly 200 miles anyway. Good suspension, change the front end to something more modern with 41mm tubes sprung and damped for your weight, and pay good money for damping adjustable rear shocks that are sprung for your weight. Don't forget top quality MODERN tires when it comes to suspension. Makes a world of difference to jump forward 30 years or so in your tire construction and design. Gearing too, if the high ball is your thing.
Nothing specific because I already have a long haul bike, but things I'd consider if I wanted an XS to be something it's not.
$0.02

I believe that was the last year of production.
If you want to talk xs1100 get ahold of jetmechmarty.

It will be helpful for long journey to have bigger gas tank in your bike. But the question is how will you manage a big gas tank in your xs650. Whatever we do or whatever we make we have to have the gas tank according to size of bike.

Honestly, I don't feel the XS650 motor is ideally suited for droning down the interstate for hours on end. That was never its intended purpose. It's more at home on back roads at varying speeds and RPM. Use it as intended and it's a wonderful bike. Mine is my around town ride and works very well for this.

XS11's are gas hogs if you get 35mpg you're doing wonderful, does haul ass tho' I've got a XS850 final drive on mine lowers road rpm and can actually use the first three gears for something besides drag racing... pulls like a locomotive, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish... must be a XS11

If you are shopping for a touring bike, the xs650 is not the most likely choice for most... there are smoother running newer less maintenance choices...

If you own one and want to tour... yes do it. it has some things really going for it... good mpg, reliable for such a vintage machine, easy to service, small enough to fit in a mini van if you need to rescue it, torquey enough to pull a load and climb mountains or the hills of San Fransisco, good handling for dirt roads - just plain fun... more fun in rural back roads than freeway... but I did a 1400 mile trip of mostly freeway and enjoyed it... geared with 17/30 sprockets - bring tools and a manual and enjoy!

Back