Cure for leaky petcock

glennpd

4 bikes, 4 dogs, 1 wife
Reaction score
Recently I was hard at work putting my "Dirty dog" into some semblance of presentable and encountered the common carburetor drool with the vacuum petcock. Yes, I know I need to dig in to the carburetors again to fix the float seat o-ring. But as a temporary and quick fix I thought I could cure the post gas tank oozing.

After draining the fuel tank and removing the petcock I removed the face plate of the petcock. I flipped the rubber valve body over. Then I found a flat piece of steel and proceeded to "lap" the face of the valve handle with 400 grit paper. After attaining a fairly flat surface I went to 800 grit and finally finished with 1500 grit.

When re-assembling I tweaked each bend of the round zig zag spring with a pair of needle nose pliers and gave everything a spray of silicone.

After re-assembly when in either the "Run" or "Res" setting I could not blow thru it.

Sealed!

Attachments

• XS650TanBlack view3Smaller.jpg
    XS650TanBlack view3Smaller.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Yes flipping the rubber seal often fixes it. I remove the petcock(s) from the tank and check the diaphragm and the small o-ring on the tip of the vacuum seal as long as you have the gas out. I have found the fuel screen loose more than once. I also sand the bottom of the tank where the petcock seals and inspect/clean the tank to petcock seal.

Yes, the vacuum circuit of this device "turns on" the valve. This must work to run the bike unless you want to run in the "Pri" position.

Back