Custom Battery box problem

wjbarber

XS650 Beginner
Reaction score
I've had a better looking battery box built into the frame to fit the standard size battery. 16.6cm high, 13.5cm wide & 8.9cm deep (INCHES = 6.5" high, 5.3" wide & 3.5" deep) were the sizes i gave to the fella doing it for me... Got the whole frame back, with the box WELDED in (??) and everything powdercoated. Finished, i thought, then i checked the fit. Dropped it in and it doesn't fit. He's done it at 14cm high :doh: so it sticks out the top. Well, he was recommended but i definitely won't be doing that as he hasn't returned my calls.:wtf:

As i'm going with a Boyer Bransden Micro Power and Kickstart only, does anyone have a suggestion on a shorter battery that will fit the box due the height issue? I budgeted about £50 ($75) for an acid one, but if there's a reliable Lithium ion or Acid that will fit and will run everything, I'll be really grateful... and might stop me thinking of terrible things to do to the guy using a frickin feeler gauge.

Cheers guys!

Get a sealed battery that can be mounted in any position. Lots of batteries are under 3.5 inches wide, so laying one on it's side would work.

Good suggestion. My worry is that if i find one at the right size it wont have enough power for everything to work. I don't know what to go for. If anybody's had any experience of this, please let me know.

Thanks

You could do an eBay search for "12v SLA motorcycle battery".
Then look in the "description" page. Most will show dimensions.

I run 4.5 ah capacity in my XS1B, it's kick only.

This one should fit. Small enuff to add padding in the box:

Item: 12V 4Ah 55CCA Sealed Lead Acid Motorcycle Battery Replaces YTX5L-BS

URL: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=271200933014&alt=web

You could do an eBay search for "12v SLA motorcycle battery".
Then look in the "description" page. Most will show dimensions.

I run 4.5 ah capacity in my XS1B, it's kick only.

This one should fit. Small enuff to add padding in the box:

Item: 12V 4Ah 55CCA Sealed Lead Acid Motorcycle Battery Replaces YTX5L-BS

URL: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=271200933014&alt=web
I'm no good with electricals. So anything above 4.5 ah will run my kick start and lights? If that is correct i'll be buying one of those mate :D

Hi, give Boyer a ring and you could use their Power Box - http://www.boyerbransden.com/productinfo.html

If memory serves me correctly the Boyer only pulls around 2A

If your kick only, you dont have to have a "normal" size battery to cope with the starter load. So the just consider what other electricals you have fitted - lights mainly and spec up the load requirements. this depends on whether you're going LED or bulb

You can work out Amps by dividing wattage by voltage - so a 12v 21w H4 bulb for example would draw 1.75A - 21w / 12v = 1.75A

Great cos i've bought one of those Micro Power ones.

Really feeling like i have a solution now thanks to your help guys:thumbsup:!

Hi

Yep, the Micro Power is the ignition unit.

The Power Box is like a wee little battery pack. Usually has enough welly to power simple headlight, tail, stop, dash and of course the ignition unit too

Ive used them in the past and they've been fine

Back