Custom/home built box swing arm?

1974jh5

Curmudgeon.
Reaction score
The swingarm brace thing got me thinking: has anyone here built a box tubing swingarm? I know the Radian swingarm is a fairly common swap, I'm thinking something like that only homebuilt.

I built a sweet Aluminum Box Tube swingarm for a customer in Sweden a while back... I never took pics, maybe they will drop in and show it off... It was NICE! :thumbsup:

On ebay you will find one made for the XS, beautiful welds :thumbsup:
swingarmc1eb.jpg

I never built one for a XS 650 but i have built many for DRAG BIKES GS1100/KZ1000 and i guest you can make a nice one for a XS650 cheap.
Gordon - HUGH Lets get crackin!!! theres money to be made.

Is there any other swing arms off a different bike that will fit the xs650 with minor mods even? Like a Renthal MOTO-x or something?

Posted via Mobile

hi guys,,,, i do know somebody that has installed a gsx1100 alloy swingarm in a 77 xs650 ,,, looks and handles superb,,,, regards oldbiker

There are a lot that will fit with a little work . I have done a GPZ 1100 / GS 1100 /GSXR /and i am just finishing up a XS 650 Cafe bike with a GPZ550 mono shock and that was a easy one. If you want some pictures email me at RGrant51@aol.com and i can give you some. I do have a complete GSXR 750 2000 swingarm for sale and i do also have a XS650 frame with a GPZ1100 already done second one i did. First one everyone made fun of but i sold the finished bike for $4700.00 so i started a second one but now i won't be able to finish it and its up for sale as is NO TITLE.

I might see if I can find another frame to go monoshock on. The #1 problem I see with most of them is the added length of the bike, I am thinking something like the old Suzuki 'Full Floater' dirt bike linkage to help with that. That's assuming some other stuff in my life straightens out...

Full Floater linkage. Notice the shock is not bolted to the frame. The vertical layout would allow the wheelbase to be kept short.
fullfloater_isometric.jpg

The easiest one i did was a GPZ550 and allyou had to take out of it was 1/4" on both sides and grind down the frame a little. Let me see if this will allow me to put up pictures i been having problems but it just may be me on the meds i am on.

Attachments

• cafe2.JPG
    cafe2.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 369
  • cafe1.JPG
    cafe1.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 389
So that's a GPZ550 swingarm? It's not real clear in the pics, I'm guessing there is linkage below similar to the Full Floater for the bottom of the shock to attach to?

Back