custom wheels

jhodge

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have an 81 xs650 that I would like to fit with custom wheels so I can put some good tires on this thing. Would like to do some track days and vintage racing with it. I now race an r6, so if I could get wheels made to fit my old race take off's, that would be great. Swingarm clearance looks to be an issue too. Anyway, the plan would be to make wheels that I can fit 120/70 fronts and 190/55 rear. Any ideas on how to get started? I don't want to to the "put modern, upside down forks on the front" thing. I want the bike to look old.

Thanks

I'm guessing your doing a cafe racer of some sort. I'm not sure of the class the rules were you are or who you run with, but alot people usually just upgrade there XS's to R6 front ends all together. Stock XS forks would pretty much suck for the track. I know you said you didn't want to put modern stuck on but I haven't seen any vintage looking forks with modern stuff in them (different springs rates, valve kits, compression & rebound adjustments) setup well enough for the track. Also do you mean a 180 rear because 190's are for liter bikes like R1's?

Welcome, by the way!...

Yes, I know I could just put a complete R6 front on it (I have enough R6 parts laying around to build 2 more) I just don't want to. My race club (Moto Series) wont allow modern front ends in the "vintage" class. Also, I don't want that "new-old" look. I want it to look original, I just want a rim size that lets me use modern tires. If those tires are the same size as my race take offs, so much the better.

I'm guessing your doing a cafe racer of some sort. I'm not sure of the class the rules were you are or who you run with, but alot people usually just upgrade there XS's to R6 front ends all together. Stock XS forks would pretty much suck for the track. I know you said you didn't want to put modern stuck on but I haven't seen any vintage looking forks with modern stuff in them (different springs rates, valve kits, compression & rebound adjustments) setup well enough for the track. Also do you mean a 180 rear because 190's are for liter bikes like R1's?

Welcome, by the way!...

Yes, it is a cafe racer of sorts. The intent is to ride it on the street most of the time. I would like to take it to the races with me every once in a while too. I think it would be a blast to beat all those SV 650 guys on my old Yammy! I do mean 190/55 rear, as I race my R6 on the U.K. made N-Tech. The 190/55 fits the 5.5" rim of the R6 perfectly. After spending a couple of years on the race track trying every tire known to man, I found the perfect tire. At nearly 500 a set though, they are pricey. After a couple of practices, and 2 races, they are toast. Still plenty good for street riding though. Hence, wanting to build wheels that will use them, so as to get as much value for my money. What I am trying to figure out is where do you get hubs to lace to custom rims? I will have to widen the swingarm too, or see if the Moto Lana one will work.

Thanks
Jay

I too am interested in fitting a 190 rear wheel as I have a few bits around from an R1. I am wondering if I can fit an R1 rear swing arm and wheel to the XS 650 frame. similar plan ... build a cafe and seeing I already have the parts want to use them and have that nice fat wheel look.

I am wondering if the cost of cutting and adapting the R1 swingarm will cost the same as getting a custom complete swing arm build... and engineers here that could answer that or have experience in doing this?

The trouble is, if you fit the wide wheel, then you have to offset the countershaft sprocket somehow. People do make offset sprockets, but if its more than a bit, you likely would need an outboard support for the sprocket. It starts to become a big deal, but it can be done.

John

sorry to be such a noob but could you explain the offset sprocket a bit more.

I have heard of someone fitting a 160 rear and took an old front sprocket and grinding it down and fitting and welding it to a new sprocket to get the chain out a little more.

is that the main issue? you need to get it out further. is it possible to space it out more than that or isn't the shaft long enough?

Hi if you are going racing get hold of a rule book from the administering body. It will probably have some restrictions on the size of wheels you can use for different classes. There will also probably be other restrictions on brakes, suspension etc as well. Decide what class you want to enter and build your machine to suit.

Hello,

I have a offset kit that will allow you to run up to a 200mm tire on your XS650

You will need a wider/longer swingarm (you can modify yours or use one from another bike (and modify it)

http://xs650widetire.webs.com/

The cost of the Offset Kit is $375.00 US

If you only want a sprocket it is $150.00 US

If you are only running a 200mm or less you will NOT need any outboard bearing supports (unless your pushing 100HP or more)(like a Drag Racing Bike)

I have had these kits on bikes that are in the 60 HP range and have been on the bikes with no issues for 5+ years and 20k+ miles

Really High Performance XS650 that run on the street are rairly over 40hp..

Thanks

Gary Poh

Opps... I also forgot to mention..

With the motor in the center of the fram and the rear wheel in the center of the frame the offset to accomodate a 200mm tire is only .750 (3/4 in)(about 19mm)

I hope that helps

Thanks again

Thats super helpful.

so I see from the pics that you are using a new rear end or chopper tail. any idea how the clearance is for using the stock frame? do you need to run the chain on the outside to get the clearance for the 190 wheel?

also any chance you have some larger close up pics?

email is kataylor8877@gmail.com

You would be much better off running 18" race tires front and rear and brace your stock fork and swingarm. Good rear shocks and internal fork mod's will do wonders. I race a GSX-R 600 and have run my XS650 on the track. I have tapered steering head bearings, cartridge emulators and heavier springs up front with a brace, and 13.5" Progressive Magnum rear shocks with bronze swingarm bushings in the rear. Don't forget a steering damper too!! Double disc and good pad's help a bunch! Tires last FOREVER on an old vintage racer and are a helluva lot cheaper than modern 17's. Sell your R6 take offs to track day riders, and buy new sticky 18's for the Yamabeast. For what it would cost you for the converion to 17's, you could buy a 750 kit for the old girl and Del'orto pumper carbs and show those pesky SV's what the backside of a man's bike is all about!! lol! Avon make a good selection of rubber to fit your bike, even if you stick with the 19 & 18 wheel sizes.
Have fun!!

Many of the bike on my website have Hardtail sections welded to a stock frame (so from the seat post forward it is the original xs650 frame)

If you are planning on running your stock swingarm then the max you can go is about 150 (maybe 160 but the chain might rub the tire a bit)

So no.. you cant run the chain on the outside of the swing arm..

HOWEVER....
If you want to run a 190 AND a swingarm then you would need to widen and lengthen you swing arm, depending on the brake system you decide to use you need about 10 -11
inches between the axle plates (inside to inside)

Another option is to modify a sportbike swingarm that originally had a 190 ro 200mm tire (GSXR maybe?) to fit your XS650 frame I am pretty sure that there are some threads on here that discuss that)

I will send you some better pics

Take care

Gary

Also btw... if you ran a 160mm i would recoment a .250 offset sprocket just to have the chain clear the tire a bit...

(still $150.00 for the sprocket and you wouldnt need to use my offset kit, the sprocket and chain would have no problem fitting under the cover)

Hey Gary,

this information had been super helpful. when I get all my parts mocked up you will be getting my order.

again Top stuff.
Kris

So hodge, you planing on hardtailing this racer, or mono shock lol? you could run a FZR 750/1000 front end/wheel, but a 190 rear is just too big. As said above, a pair of 18" wheels is the best (and fast) option to race one of these. cheers

Posted via Mobile

Also btw... if you ran a 160mm i would recoment a .250 offset sprocket just to have the chain clear the tire a bit...

(still $150.00 for the sprocket and you wouldnt need to use my offset kit, the sprocket and chain would have no problem fitting under the cover)

Is this the most offset over stock on a gear that will fit inside the stock cover with clearance, no shift shaft, clutch rod mods?

Back