Cutting Out Issues

KMXS 650

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Have Had My XS 650 for about three months , ran good around town when I first got it went to go for longer ride on it about three weeks ago after about 10 miles into the ride the bike started cutting out real bad so I got it home and started checking out things on the bike , checked voltage all was good just felt like a fuel issue or a electrical issue , so just for the heck of it I switched out the ignition coil and plugs and wires and pulled the carburetors went through them still had an issue , so as I would read things on this forum it sounds like it could be my TCI Box so I found one on E Bay and I put that on and boom bike fired up ran strong , so I took it for 60 mile ride and about 6 miles from home started cutting out again so I got it home checked voltage not good not charging checked rotor it was bad , so I got an after market rotor from Electrosport Industries put that on bike solved charging issues , but now I developed a hiccup when the bike would get up to 3500 - 4000 rpm , so again I started reading things on the forum about some after market rotors having weak magnets so the pickup coil is not sending the right information to the TCI Box and guys were epoxying rare earth magnets onto the magnet on the rotor and it would solve the problem , so I got onto E Bay again and and bought some 1/4" x 1/8" thick hi temp Magnets Jb Welded the Magnet on, and boom Problem Solved bike is running stronger then ever has , before I put the magnet on I checked my timing mark with timing light it was off ,after I epoxyed the magnet on I checked timing again with timing light all was good so obviously pickup coil is picking up magnet well and sending good info to TCI Box ,
anyway just wanted to share this experience hoping it may help someone because the things that people have put on sure helped me with this bike as I get to know it better .

Back